Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And another reason why I hate automatic pistols...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    WOW!!! FAR worse than any ejected casing!

Jim
    Nah not bad at all it hit me in the chest and bounced (I was toned in those days ) there wasn't enough puff in it to do much I have been hit harder by paintballs
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Being the victim of stray debris can happen with revolvers too Jim, as a poor unfortunate at my club will readily testify. The Mrs was shooting our BP Remington when the guy shooting next to her flinched and let out a yelp... closely followed by certain other choice remarks which can't be reproduced on a family forum He had been struck by a sliver of cap as the Mrs fired our revolver. You would never believe so much blood could gush from such a tiny wound.

Point taken about the unguided missiles ejected from a semi auto though. I have a .22 AR15 which causes havoc with the guys down the club. It has a beautifully consistant ejection trajectory.... they land perfectly on top of the head or bounce off the rearsight of the poor unfortunate shooting in the lane two down to my right!

Fondest memories are of the wife shooting her old Star ModB 9mm though. For some reason it used to throw cases straight up and usually behind her. However, occasionally it wouldn't and the offending (and hot ) article would disappear down the front of her blouse. Naturally the result of such occurences used to attract much interest and hilarity among the assembled male masses
    Last edited by Gun Collector; 24-02-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling 'n' stuff

Ouch

Hi Jim
    Sorry you were hurt but that's as far as it goes. Thanks to "Nanny" government I don't have the option to place myself in this type of danger.
    Think I'll try to visit to see if I can stand the pressure.

Recover soon
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Just my thoughts, I've owned 3 semi-auto pistols. First was a Beretta 92, quite nice, double stack 15+1. I had this for a while but could not get great accuracy out of it, also home loading 9mm is less forgiving than the other popular rounds. Sold the gun.

Next was a beautiful looking AMT Londslide 45 semi-auto. In stainless steel it looked the part. The downside was the feed ramp, had to be kept it highly polished or it would not feed. Sold the gun.

Last semi-auto was a Colt Gold Cup. Bought second hand as standard factory and had it worked on by Jeff Wilkinson of Crown Custom Guns. He made the pistol flawless and would cycle with light loads. A true Master of his craft. I used it for Bianchi matches but found I had problems handling it on the Barricade match. Sold the gun.

Then bought two S&W 625 in 45acp, sheer delight and just as quick to shoot as any 45 semi-auto.

Long live the Revolver

Phil

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Nah not bad at all it hit me in the chest and bounced (I was toned in those days ) there wasn't enough puff in it to do much I have been hit harder by paintballs
    I used to watch you on TV and read your comics when I was a kid!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Collector View Post
    Being the victim of stray debris can happen with revolvers too Jim, as a poor unfortunate at my club will readily testify. The Mrs was shooting our BP Remington when the guy shooting next to her flinched and let out a yelp... closely followed by certain other choice remarks which can't be reproduced on a family forum He had been struck by a sliver of cap as the Mrs fired our revolver. You would never believe so much blood could gush from such a tiny wound.

I've heard about this happening with BP revolvers. I own a BP revolver but have never fired it (except with a conversion cylinder for nitro cartridges), since indoor ranges here don't allow BP. I must make the trek out to the boondocks some day and use it as a front-stuffer with the dark stuff.

Also, cartridge revolvers have been known to sheer off lead and spit it out the side. I have never had this happen to me, or seen it, though.

I HAVE been hit by spitting powder granules from out the side of a cartridge revolver. Funny sensation, like a hot sting: but it doesn't break the skin.

Blood? Indeed! I couldn't believe how much I bled from such a minor cut!

Fondest memories are of the wife shooting her old Star ModB 9mm though. For some reason it used to throw cases straight up and usually behind her. However, occasionally it wouldn't and the offending (and hot ) article would disappear down the front of her blouse. Naturally the result of such occurences used to attract much interest and hilarity among the assembled male masses
    This happened to my wife Jan once. She also suffered a cut from a .32 automatic I rented for her when she was in her earliest days of pistol shooting. She now hates automatics more than I do!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Jim
    Sorry you were hurt but that's as far as it goes. Thanks to "Nanny" government I don't have the option to place myself in this type of danger.
    Think I'll try to visit to see if I can stand the pressure.

Recover soon
    Jim D
    Thanks, Jim. I hope you can make it over here soon.

I wouldn't dream of trading my country's gun laws for the UK's. However, after you endure a session or two here at an indoor pistol range with your teeth rattling from people cutting loose with .454 Casulls and .50 Desert Eagles: you'll have a renewed appreciation of air guns!

Jim

Also, cartridge revolvers have been known to sheer off lead and spit it out the side. I have never had this happen to me, or seen it, though.
    It's been so long now. I had forgotten about that. Yes, I've seen it happen on a few occasions. Usually it would be a worn or sloppy fitting cylinder that would be the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Pimpernel, I've never owned a .45 ACP revolver, but for years I planned to eventually: not the Smith 625 Model, so much as an old WWI DA Colt or Smith.

Jim
    Jim,

do you mean the model 22? Looks great. Ever fired one?

Re. the Judge, is that the one with the over-sized cylinder? Looks odd.

All the best, and do let me have more info about the competition you organize.

P

Hi Jim the one revolver that I have always liked the look of is the Ruger security six that shoot 357 magnum or .38 they was used by the police over there I think what do you think of them have you ever shot one.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    Hi Jim the one revolver that I have always liked the look of is the Ruger security six that shoot 357 magnum or .38 they was used by the police over there I think what do you think of them have you ever shot one.
    Yes, Beagle: I used to own one, in .357. A co-worker (now deceased himself) was trying to liquidate a collection of pistols his recently deceased father in law had left them. It included three different versions of the Security Six: in 3 inch, 4 inch, and 6 inch barrels. I bought the 3 inch version.

Strangely, I shot it WORSE than a small frame Colt or Smith snubbie! But then, I don'r shoot heavier pistols well, unless they have enough barrel length to compensate for the back-weight. (My father was just the opposite: give him a 40 ounce pistol with a 2 inch barrel and he loved it!)

I eventually sold it to one of my wife's co-workers who wanted to buy her first pistol.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpernel View Post
    Jim,

do you mean the model 22? Looks great. Ever fired one?

Re. the Judge, is that the one with the over-sized cylinder? Looks odd.

All the best, and do let me have more info about the competition you organize.

P
    Pimpernel, I don't remember the number of those revolvers. I've seen them at gun shows but have never fired or held one.

The Taurus Judge: yes, that's the one with the long cylinder. That's so it can hold .410 shotshells as well as .45 Colt pistol rounds. I have one, love it, and it shoots well for me.

The Police Pistol competition usually opens on the 4th Saturday of each month (as it does this month), and runs for 9 days. The main competition is always the same: the same Bad Guy target (I call him Uncle Louie), is fired from 6 yards, and is all double action.

You need a repeating air pistol that fires at least 6 rounds quickly. There are 3 stages. The first stage is moderate speed: you take aim, fire 6 rounds, reload, and fire 6 more, while the clock runs.

In the second stage, you have two seconds to raise, fire: lower for 5 seconds: raise, fire...till 6 rounds are fired.

Then you stop, and do the second stage a second time. (I find that posting a fresh target makes scoring easier).

Third stage is just like the second, except that you fire TWO rounds each you raise the pistol. You DON'T repeat this stage.

30 rounds total fired. Maximum possible score is 300. No one has yet come close!

Side target and rules is whatever Target Bunny creates for us.

Full rules, and printable targets, can be found in the Umarex Boys Club Forum.

Jim