Thread: Baikal IZH-53M spring

Baikal IZH-53M spring

Gentlemen,

does anyone know where I might get hold of the above mainspring? I know that York Guns are the importers, but seem to remember that they don't carry spares.

Alternatively, has anyone chopped a spring from another gun & fitted it to a Baikal?

All help welcome.

Cheers,
    P
    Last edited by Pimpernel; 11-03-2010 at 07:05 PM.

I'd also be very grateful if owners of said pistol could tell me how many springs should be in its rear sight arrangement.

My beloved golden retriever decided to have a root around my bench...

P

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpernel View Post
    I'd also be very grateful if owners of said pistol could tell me how many springs should be in its rear sight arrangement.
    P
    One about 13mm long, 6mm diameter which sits in the alloy base and pushes the rearsight leaf up as the elevation screw is adjusted.

One about 20mm long, 4mm diameter which pushes the rearsight notch out as you unscrew the windage adjustment. You only see that if you completely remove the windage adjustment screw.

Can't help with the mainspring I'm afraid though.

Iain

Iain,

very many thanks for your helpful reply. I know that there is one that's vertical below an 'L' shaped piece, which is forward of the main adjustments.

Is the 13 x 6 positioned around the elevation screw? Or is the other spring situated within the windage adjustment?

I'm sorry to be a pain, but are you able to post a picture/pictures?

Rather embarrassed that I have to ask at all...

P
    Last edited by Pimpernel; 11-03-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpernel View Post
    Is the 13 x 6 positioned around the elevation screw?
    No. The front half of the alloy base, where it is split so that it can be tightened to grip onto the grooves on the air cylinder, has the circular recess which this spring fits in. It pushes up on the little tab of metal folded over from the left hand side of the rearsight leaf. The bottom picture here shows this:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zo...l?model_id=597

Or is the other spring situated within the windage adjustment?
    Yes.

Rather embarrassed that I have to ask at all...
    Don't worry - I once asked which way round a JSR 30mm Red Dot sight went ... I mean, it would've been obvious if they magnified, but they don't.

Iain
    Last edited by Iain K D; 11-03-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Iain,

thank you so very much for your help.

I've now realised that I wasn't missing a spring at all.

The spring on the garage floor was obviously nothing to do with the Baikal: I found the windage adjustment spring where it should be, as well as the the one in the recess.

The dog has caused me more worry than necessary.

Thanks, again, for taking the trouble to assist me: it's what the BBS is all about, isn't it?

Cheers,
    P

Glad to have been of help.

Iain

Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any idea who might carry Baikal spares?

Cheers,
    P

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Pyramyd might have them: but they're in the US. Want me to check for you?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Could you, Jim? That would be great!

Many thanks.

P

Jim,

many thanks for the offer of help, but I've now managed to get hold of a spring.

Hope you haven't gone to any trouble.

By the way, what do you think of the recent reports of open carry in Wisonsin?

(Oops, I've just hijacked my own thread)

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    No problem, Pimpernel: I saw your first message earlier, but saw your more recent one before I got around to contacting Pyramyd.

I noticed that Thread about open carry in Wisconsin, but didn't read the article thoroughly.

My personal opinion about anyone who walks around with a pistol on his hip in plain sight in any US urban area is that he must be either a brave soul, striving to make a political point: or else he's a complete idiot!

Wisconsin, I understand, is one of only about 3 American states (Illinois, where I used to live, being another one) that does not grant concealed carry permits. About 39 states are "shall issue" (think of it as being like your SGC: you get the license if you jump through the legal hoops the State imposes, but DON'T have to show "need").

About 7 other States are "discretionary issue" (think of it as being like getting a pistol in the UK for humane dispatch: it's entirely up to the cops whether they want to approve you, even if you meet whatever requirements the law sets).

I live in Lousisiana, which is "shall issue", and I have a concealed carry permit.

HOWEVER: If I didn't have a carry permit / couldn't get one, I'd rather carry a (legal) tear gas canister in my pocket than a (legal) pistol on my hip: wouldn't want to walk into some shop and have the proprietor thinking I was there to rob him, and deciding to shoot me first!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Had a few of these made, available via PM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    No problem, Pimpernel: I saw your first message earlier, but saw your more recent one before I got around to contacting Pyramyd.

I noticed that Thread about open carry in Wisconsin, but didn't read the article thoroughly.

My personal opinion about anyone who walks around with a pistol on his hip in plain sight in any US urban area is that he must be either a brave soul, striving to make a political point: or else he's a complete idiot!

Wisconsin, I understand, is one of only about 3 American states (Illinois, where I used to live, being another one) that does not grant concealed carry permits. About 39 states are "shall issue" (think of it as being like your SGC: you get the license if you jump through the legal hoops the State imposes, but DON'T have to show "need").

About 7 other States are "discretionary issue" (think of it as being like getting a pistol in the UK for humane dispatch: it's entirely up to the cops whether they want to approve you, even if you meet whatever requirements the law sets).

I live in Lousisiana, which is "shall issue", and I have a concealed carry permit.

HOWEVER: If I didn't have a carry permit / couldn't get one, I'd rather carry a (legal) tear gas canister in my pocket than a (legal) pistol on my hip: wouldn't want to walk into some shop and have the proprietor thinking I was there to rob him, and deciding to shoot me first!

Jim
    Jim,

I think we're like minded. As far as I'm concerned, open carry is crazy.

That said, I wouldn't support any sort of carry in the UK. Yet, if I were to live across the Pond, I'd certainly carry a concealed revolver.

Moreover, it would be great just to roll up to a range and shoot a pistol.

All the best,
    P