Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3 accuracy problem

P3 accuracy problem

I have just acquired a nice Beeman P3 and Beeman case(i think),i'm using Geco and Bisley Practice pellets but the accuracy is all over the shop at 6 and 10 metres which is odd for a P3 i believe,some go where i aim but more go high with very little consistency.

i suspect it could the barrel crowning be causing this?

ATB
    andy

Maybe you could put a riflescope on it and shoot it off a rest? That would rule out any user errors.

I had a HW40 for a while, and could never shoot it accurately off-hand with irons. I could shoot my HW45 and my FWB65 (1 handed) more accurately than the HW40. I decided to bench it with a riflescope one day and stacked pellets into 1 hole. Ended up selling it because I couldn't get along with it using irons. Red dots and scopes were fine though.

chrono test shows 419-422fps.
    pushing 4 different pellets(geko's,bisley practice,eley wasp and falcon accuracy ) through with a cleaning rod after a thorough clean and rifling inspection shows the barrel isn't choked and after the pellet skirts have entered the rifling there is very little resistance(rod weight alone pushes the lead through) but this could be down to no air pressure behind the pellet skirt.

measured the breech and muzzle with a vernier and both are 4.46-4.48mm and pellet head sizes are all 4.4-4.5mm

any idea's?
    Last edited by ikarma70; 15-04-2010 at 09:49 AM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Q1. Barrel keep plate come loose...if yes, proceed to Q2

Q2. Is the shot to shot velocity consistant?...if yes, proceed to answer.

Answer -You have a severe muscle spasm...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Q1. Barrel keep plate come loose...if yes, proceed to Q2

Q2. Is the shot to shot velocity consistant?...if yes, proceed to answer.

Answer -You have a severe muscle spasm...
    errr.... no because even with the pistol rested its still no better.
    barrel plate not loose and you didnt read what i said re: velocities did you?.....nice to have constructive answers and no sarcastic comments please.

I do not know the P3, but when using my LP10 if I shoot at 400fps, the grouping is like a blunderbus (and that is bench clamped) - if I raise the pfs to around 520, I get one holers

so, can you raise the FPS
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

Quote Originally Posted by big_phil555 View Post
    I do not know the P3, but when using my LP10 if I shoot at 400fps, the grouping is like a blunderbus (and that is bench clamped) - if I raise the pfs to around 520, I get one holers

so, can you raise the FPS
    no unfortunately single stroke pneumatics don't have that facility....its really a hw40 clone
    Last edited by ikarma70; 15-04-2010 at 10:34 AM.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Can you shoot benchrested over a chrono?
    I know not everyone has a setup allowing this but it would allow you to confirm the actual flyers weren't deviating from nominal velocity.
    Or is this what you're already doing?
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I never shot that well with my P3, but it was because of the pistol's light weight: made it hard for me to hold it steady.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi, Andy.

The only fault with my HW40 lies with the rear sight adjustment. The screw very helpfully unwinds itself, periodically. Could this be contributing to your problem?

In addition the barrel of my pistol likes to be clean. Re. pellets, mine loves gecos.

Is it a brand new gun, or has it been well-used?

Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

P
    Last edited by Pimpernel; 15-04-2010 at 02:29 PM.

no not the rearsight and yes it was bench rested to try to get it zeroed....the problem has been solved......the fault was a knackered barrel caused by airgun darts/harder than barrel projectiles.

UK Neil machined me a new barrel from a crosman rabbitstopper barrel and made it fit flush to the muzzle which has almost removed muzzle flip which the muzzle slots was making worse with the standard length barrel.

on bench resting at the club more shots were going nearer the bull with 2 cutting the 6 and more in the 5 which i'm pleased with so a big thankyou to Neil.

I'm glad you got it sorted. Your persistance has certainly paid off. If that was my gun, then my solution would be:

1) P3 in bin
    2) Wallet comes out
    3) HW40 obtained

BTW is there nothing U.K. Neil can't do? The man's a legend.
    I plink therefore I am
    Weihrauch HW100S Air Arms S400 GinB Feinwerkbau C60 Weihrauch HW77K Steyr LP10 Feinwerkbau C55 Brocock Aim-X Gamo Compact Weihrauch HW40 Click here to see my collection

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    [QUOTE=ikarma70;4245360]no not the rearsight and yes it was bench rested to try to get it zeroed....the problem has been solved......the fault was a knackered barrel caused by airgun darts/harder than barrel projectiles./QUOTE]

Glad that you've sorted it, I would have binned by now, but how did you discover if was darts that caused it?
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Synthasy2000 View Post
    I'm glad you got it sorted. Your persistance has certainly paid off. If that was my gun, then my solution would be:

1) P3 in bin
    2) Wallet comes out
    3) HW40 obtained

BTW is there nothing U.K. Neil can't do? The man's a legend.
    there is no way on gods green earth i'd ever bin this pistol,it belonged to a shooting mate of mine who sadly passed away in february of this year,it has more sentimental value and to me can never be replaced.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

You are certainly making that P3 the best it can be in memory of your friend.

Chris
    I plink therefore I am
    Weihrauch HW100S Air Arms S400 GinB Feinwerkbau C60 Weihrauch HW77K Steyr LP10 Feinwerkbau C55 Brocock Aim-X Gamo Compact Weihrauch HW40 Click here to see my collection