Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol choice

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    I Disagree, too may people spend their hard earned cash on a nice target pistol, to find out it's a lot harder than it looks. I have always recommended if your interested in target shooting, buy a secondhand HW40/ Gamo Compact both around £90, no there not target pistols, but accurate enough not to get frustrated, good to learn the basics and if you find it's not your cup of tea, you can sell them for the same money you paid for them. IMHO
    Ah, perhaps I should clarify -

My point was that if you're going to spend 170 quid on an Alecto with a view to starting target pistol shooting, then IMHO you'd be way better off spending the same amount on a second hand dedicated target pistol - like the FAS in my following post, or the TAU Mickson suggested. What you have to remember is that the 1 handed stance is compulsory - the grips on the likes of the HW40 aren't really ideal for that, ambi grips in general aren't. Also, if the OP wants to shoot formally, then the Alecto is too big - it doesn't fit within the ISSF dimensions.

I must be in the minority here - I'd MUCH rather enjoy it from the start with the right kit than be uncomfortable with my pistol and be forced to spend even more money on something more suited to the discipline.

Over the years I've seen too many people so put off by their unsuitable pistol and thier perceived inability to shoot well with it that they've just given up on the sport altogether.
    Last edited by Eddiekneejerk; 27-04-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    Why is that? Are pistols banned in the Netherlands?
    No but replicas are it seems. The above look (vaguely) like real firearms.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Yeah, they're on the forbidden list and/or look too much like FA.
    I'm even having a discussion with the police about the Airmatch 600/Joniskeit, because it resembles the HW's (allthough it has a sidelever)too much in their opinion. The up cocking FAS is forbidden as well.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I never said it wasnt regulated. Only thing I said wás, if you read my post that the 1 in that test had LARGE fps spread. I also dónt say they áll have that, I just wondered in that post wether all have that because of the ltd airsupply, ór wether its reg was faulty etc etc.
    Just read the link to Pyramidair.

Depends how you read the review. This is what I gleaned, seemed positive:

The grip on the Alfa Competition pistol has no adjustments, so there's nothing to do. I measured the width across the widest spot in the grip, and it's just less than 50mm, so the gun will fit in the qualifying 50mm box that all international competition guns must fit.

Adjustable trigger
    Once set up, the trigger is without fault. I can easily identify stage two and there is zero creep in that stage. This is the lowest-priced 10-meter pistol I can say that about

The dry-fire training mechanism is one that allows you to sight and fire a shot without releasing air or firing a pellet. Competitive shooters use the feature about five times more often than they shoot pellets, and a world-class shooter shoots about one complete match a day with pellets.

The gun's velocity can be adjusted, as can many of the finer PCP target guns today.

Sights
    The rear notch width is fixed, but the front sight has three widths that can be rotated into the sight picture. I selected the narrowest one.

Is it accurate?
    That's the big question everyone wants to know. Other budget 10-meter pistols sell on the basis of accuracy, and this one has to be as good or better to keep up. In traditional European fashion, the test target is attached to the Alfa's operation manual and serial-numbered to the gun, so there is no mistake. If you're not familiar with 10-meter pistols, this target may look like a lie, but rest assured that it is about what to expect from any world-class target pistol. Of course the Alfa sells for several times less than other world-class pistols, so there's a story here and that's why I'm so happy to finally test the gun.

Most of the negative info I found was untrue? e.g. no reg etc. Just thought I'd tell you this as I have one and found it to be agood pistol. If there was an issue with these (never heard it unless this was on earlier models) which have since been improved?

He indeed rectified he first said it had no reg. Bút he stíll says he was amazed by the very large fps spread with a reg.
    You really need an adjustable matchgrip for serious shooting. You just miss something with a standar, ambi grip.
    With adj sightline, I mean the length. Cant be changed as far as I can tell.
    I know the frontsight can be turned, but even thán my sightpicture wasnt good for mé. Still too wide, too little white..
    Yeah, those factory targets are always fun. With the aeron you cóuld see it were indeed multiple shots. With Tau's they just fire 1 shot! So dont álways believe what you see!
    Accuracy wise: iirc, they were stated for 5mm? in the manual at 10m. 5mm is on par with the Tau standard and sport iirc. The Tau match/silhouet is rated 3mm, like the walther LP300 etc. And it wíll shoot it as well! Trigger on my alfa had creep. Didnt adjust it though. Tau's have very good triggers. At least as good as the Alfa.
    Yes, the Alfa's áre a good buy if you want a starter CO2/pcp.(it shóuld since the co2 version is almost identical to Tau!)
    But I stíll prefer the Tau. Better and adj balance, better sight width, better grip. My Tau's have a compensator as well, my CO2 Alfa didnt, the pcp's dó I believe.
    But its personal. I shoot better with the Tau than I do with the morini, steyr or aeron. Groupwise I mean.
    And the Alfa has some pluspoints over the Tau too ofcourse; its alu, so wont rust! It has a dryfire option..
    Just dont expect steyr/morini like finish, quality or service with those tsjechs. Problems are quite common, and service and part availability is bad to say the least..
    I think that quality-price wise, and reliabilitywise, yr better off with a sechand SSP. But than I dont like the cocking of those..
    Sold my Alfa by the way, still have 2 Tau's.

The should offer the Alfa as standard with a wider ánd an adj matchgrip and a pistol barrel weight. Would improve the pistol greatly! O, yeah, and for me, a smaller frontsight
    Last edited by hwtyger; 28-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    ATB,
    yana

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Yeah, they're on the forbidden list and/or look too much like FA.
    I'm even having a discussion with the police about the Airmatch 600/Joniskeit, because it resembles the HW's (allthough it has a sidelever)too much in their opinion. The up cocking FAS is forbidden as well.
    I'm stunned!
    We're actually lucky!
    Here we can have them because they are classed as real firearms, the power levels mean that a license is not required.
    You could always join us for a UBC meet, I'm sure you'd get to try loads of pistols
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I strongly recommend the Gamo Compact as a starter-target pistol. It is eligible for NSRA/ISSF comps and can shoot to a high standard. I shot one in the West Midlands Open a few years back and came 2nd in my class. The trigger benefits from a tune-up and the cocking stroke is of necessity rather stiff but otherwise it is a very good beginners target-pistol. You can always sell it on when you need something better or keep it as your back-up competition pistol (you should always have one!). The FAS 604 is a good choice if you need an easier cocking stroke but is more expensive.

The should offer the Alfa as standard with a wider ánd an adj matchgrip and a pistol barrel weight. Would improve the pistol greatly! O, yeah, and for me, a smaller frontsight

You obviously know your pistols and know what you want!

Its ok, we can still have the real stuff here; 9mm FA etc, so we have our advantages as well!
    ATB,
    yana