Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What puts you off shooting Field Target (FT)

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch.Stanton? View Post
    Well reading this Thread - HFT , SHS and SiHFT
    A good point but let me help... I did say what those two were in the sentence

SHS and SiHFT that gives two good regular HFT comps
    For more details take a look here:

SHS Southern Hunters Series

SiHFT Sussex interclub HFT

and for some more acronym clarity the UKAHFT and BFTA sites are good

FT Field Target

HFT Hunter Field Target

Hope that helps
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
    I enjoy HFT and rolling around in the mud the thought of clip boards and anoraks puts me off a bit
    As someone that has done both in the past but does neither now, there's little rolling in the mud in FT, part of the attraction in the depths of winter. However, there's no more in the way of clipboards and anoraks than there is in HFT. In some regions it's pretty much the same people doing both, in some it's not.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I don't like that sitting on your arse cradling the gun position it looks like it will make your kidneys burst. And too much fiddling about with kit.
    It's actually very comfortable But then that's a basic principle of any shooting position. The "deadman" however i'd say isn't, but then that's not a position that really gets practiced over here.

Aside from medical reasons, i reckon most should be quite comfortable in the FT sitting position.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It's actually very comfortable But then that's a basic principle of any shooting position. The "deadman" however i'd say isn't, but then that's not a position that really gets practiced over here.

Aside from medical reasons, i reckon most should be quite comfortable in the FT sitting position.
    That rather depends upon your physique. I noticed last year that as I lost weight it got more and more comfortable. As I put it back on again normal breathing became more difficult.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

equipment is too expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming Monkey View Post
    Can't agree with this - look at what some people are spending on HFT gear!

With FT if you are willing to put in the effort you can be competitive with lower cost gear as well - but some don't seem to like the idea of having to work for a result......

If I tried FT my mates would disown me Seriously I don't have enough time to fit all the HFT comps in never mind FT as well

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    If I tried FT my mates would disown me
    ?

What mates?

Nope, I use an AA S200 mark 1 topped with a £100 Tasco scope and I get into the silverware as much as my mates using EVO's and the like

I used to get a few sideways glances but no longer
    If you wade in, you have to risk the water coming over the tops of your wellies...

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Nothing really, nothing wrong with FT at all I just prefer and find HFT is more fun.

?

What mates?
    Sod off and play with your knobs FT boy

Have to disagree with you on that one.My whole FT set up cost me £775 all in.£475 for the gun (Pro Target) & £300 for the scope (BSA 10-50X60).I know plenty of HFT boys who have spent over £1000 for a gun and the latest choice of HFT scopes cost as much as some FT scopes nowadays.When i first started i was using a ZOS scope,which was supprisingly good and that only cost me £50,so i was competitive for a smidgen obver £500.I think it's all done to preference,i would rather sit on a comfy cushion than roll around in the mud.

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    I don't really have vast amounts of time at the moment due to college work and exams. Plus I don't have the funds for a new dedicated FT rig, and Sporting FT doesn't really appeal to me as much tbh.
    Not sure of any FT clubs close to me either, not since 'knee mounted windicators' boy buggered off anyway.

What's the deadman position? Is it that one where you sit with crossed legs and bend right over?
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by piemanlarger View Post
    I have some theories based on non Ft shooters views, as to why some shooters do not shoot Ft. The result of not shooting FT is either they shoot Hft or just plink?

So, I am looking for comments from non Ft shooters as to why they dont do Ft shooting / comps? Whats off putting about Ft?
    Many reasons, not just for FT though bud.

1. Nothing close enough to warrant spending the time.

2. I used to compete years ago, it did me good then, but I have enough pressure with work to not want to worry about beating A or B.

I do miss just the banter and shooting with others though.

There does not seem to be a huge difference between either now days from a casual viewer (I know they are, but it may seem otherwise)

I also think there is a feeling amonst many that they have to have the latest/best kit in order to compete.

When you are looking at 2k for an S&B sight, you just think...what the??

I know, I know, superb piece of kit, does exactly what it says on the tin and more.

I tend nowdays to just respect these folks, the best chance I have of hitting anything consistantly standing is the toilet seat

In all honesty, if I was going to go the distance and really get into a technical type of shooting, FT would be the one, but only at the expense of full bore civvy snipery type stuff...which I cannot afford...so there you go.

As long as you can weedle out and silence the club expert, (the guy who has done it all....and then some...but never really woken up), clubs are a great thing that can only do anyone any good, and FT/HFT by default depend on clubs for their survival I guess, which is good as we all prosper through spin offs in techniques and technology.

waffling again Ballard...you will be shooting FT soon no doubt

I would have probably tried it at some stage, but the local club never answered any of my emails, so I gave up
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss