Thread: Pellet recommendation for .22 Airsporter please.

Pellet recommendation for .22 Airsporter please.

Good afternoon! I've just bought a nice condition Mk2 .22 Airsporter and was wondering what the more experienced on here use pellet wise as I've not owned a .22 in nearly 30 years. I have an encyclopaedic collection of .177 pellets for everything else I shoot and would rather not go through the same exercise in .22 to find what a single gun likes to digest!

I recently tried a friend's Mk3 with his pellet selection through my chrono and there was a significant difference in performance. RWS Hobby were putting out 8.3 ft.lb with 13ft/s variation, Webley (remarkably low)Powapel made 6.3 ft.lb with 25 ft/s variation, 5.6mm Wasps produced 9 ft.lb with 53 ft/s variation and Scalemead Hustlers made 8.3 ft.lb with an amazing 92 ft/s variation.

I'm inclined to go with the Hobbys in the absence of more info, but would be most interested in any recommendations from you knowledgeable sorts.

Cheers, Tom.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Try RWS Superdomes !

All my Airsporters loved them.

"Black"

Pellet Recommendation

RWS Superdomes work well in my MkIII.
    Give them a try.
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

Thanks for the advice guys, I've ordered a couple of tins to give them a try.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Well done !
    I had five Airsporters from a mk. 1 to a mk. 6 (no 3) and I put a shedload of different pellets brands through them including all three sized Defiants.
    Every time, S'domes would group the best with good power. All were .22.
    I've sold them now but I still have a "minter" RB2 in .177 bought new and that too likes the "Domes".

So there you go.

ATB.

"Blackrider"

edbear2 Guest
    Another excellent pellet, IMHO... for "true" .22 older guns...ie. 5.6mm bore, is the H+N Field Target Trophy in 5.54 die size.....quite a heavy pellet, but I use this exclusively in all my .22 vintage guns (to the point of buying them in batches of 5000 at a time)