Thread: Secret note found from 1949!!!!...

Smile Secret note found from 1949!!!!...

Hey up all

I bought this webley Senior a few weeks ago that wouldn't cock and when i stripped it, i found a piece of folded paper...
    I carefully unfolded it and this is what was written on it....

Now the writing is a little smudged and slightly scribbled but i seem to be able to make out-

Mr M H Hall

Dunstanboro
    (this may be wrong)

Darras Rd

Ponteland

17/o on ??????

Jan 27/49

I've found Darras rd in ponteland and presume that Dunstanboro is the name of a house on there as there's no number on the paper before the road name, again i tried googling maps with the house name but this turned up nothing..
    At first i thought it was the name of the gunshop that sold the gun but it looks more like a receipt with the name, addy and price (seventeen bob or 85p in the new fangled money )..
    I wonder why a receipt would be folded small in this way and place below the grip
    Anyhow whatever the reason it looks like it's nine years older than me and shooting fine now (will shoot even better when i make a breech seal for it )

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Re your Webley

Hi,
    What a nice find,at least your's spoke...I always wonder what tales some my collection could tell...Why not treat your pistol to a breach seal from Chambers or Knibb's proper one's are a lot better than home made, from memory one edge is different than the other...

Regards

Inproved

edbear2 Guest
    Hi John......I like that!......I have a distant memory of doing the same thing when I was a nipper, so that maybe one day I would get it back if I lost it.......I always check my old BSA's under the butt plate, but no luck yet

On a different, but of interest to you note......I read somewhere ages ago about a guy who bought a les paul in london....he had some pot problems and decided to check all the connections, and on unscrewing the back plate there was a piece of paper glued in which read something like;

"If found, please return to PAUL KOSSOF, 83, Kensington mews etc.

I bet the shop assistant that sold it got a kicking when the story hit the papers.

Oh well....off to burn some metal......atb, Eddie

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

A friend on taking the back off a mileometer to "adjust" the reading took out a paper that read, "oh no not again" Made me laugh.