Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on the New Webley Alecto

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I stand corrected,
    Slower pellets are better for outdoor shooting and a bit of unnecessary bling ruins a gun.

Boy are those FT blokes in for a surprise
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    Quote Originally Posted by shammo View Post
    So what if my point of view goes against yours, or any of the rest of the "experienced" outdoor shooters?! I'm not out to join a clan, just out to put forward my views on the Alecto.

The OP is "views" on the Alecto right, and I've expressed mine. My views are no less relevant than yours or anyone else's.

I personally value build quality and design over other aspects, and my reasoning as to why made perfectly clear.

As for you stating my reference to the surface finishes as not furthering the argument, I couldn't disagree more.

MY point to add about views on the Alecto is about build quality, and I consider chrome plating as cheap and tacky, and just one indicator of its lesser design, therefore totally relevant to the point I introduced.

As far as handling one is concerned, I haven't to the degree that some may have as far as shooting it is concerned, but I have to sufficient enough a degree to make initial conclusions about its build quality, which I point out again is the crux of my argument.

I also stand by the value of shot-to-shot consistency as a reliable measure of performance, and to those that don't... Fair enough!

I sort of agree with bits of this....
    I agree that the build quality is not what it could be, but then it is built down to a price.
    If someone builds an Alecto, from top quality materials (metal?), with a great (Weihrauch?) 2 stage trigger (that doesn't fail, and has no creep), and has a proper Weaver rail on the top, and maybe just 2 pumps (forget about the pointless 3rd pump!).......I'd buy one.
    Probably cost North of £400, though?

Bob.

Exclamation Alecto !!

If you clamp an HW40, to eliminate the shooter's skill from the equation, you can practically get each shot through the same hole at 10m, so how much better than that can an Alecto perform?

I just ran a 10 shot string through my HW40 and the variation was 2fps overall!!!

The Turkish manufacturers of the Alecto are not really comparable to Weihrauch are they? Sure they may indeed turn out to be comparable, in a few more decades!

Until they do, there'll always be a justified question mark over their reliability, and future support, which considering they're pitting themselves against the likes of Weihrauch, you'd think a firm with any sense might try to market its reliability... Assuming it's even there to market? Why not prove your pistol by shooting it in the UBC comp against Alecto's & other ssp pistols...mike...

You buy a Weihrauch today, and you have peace of mind that you'll always be able to get your hands on spares, and parts. Not to mention it's proven reliability.

imo, you can't really ignore good engineering and reliability when rating any kit, and Zoraki still have a lot to prove.
    Why not prove your point by shooting in the UBC comp against the Alecto's & other ssp pistols...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Why not prove your point by shooting in the UBC comp against the Alecto's & other ssp pistols...mike...
    Hi Mike.

Maybe I will join in the comps for the right reasons, ie/ me simply wanting to get involved, but I won't just in order to prove a point I wasn't trying to make.

If you really wanted me to prove the point I was making then having one of each pistol in each calibre, clamped in a vice, and firing a long string of shots at various ranges in conditions similar to the range of pistol competitions said pistols could be used in would demonstrate my guess that the Alecto won't be all that better, if at all. As far as getting shots where you want them is concerned.

The point I am making is that the Alecto's reliability is in question due to its apparently lesser quality to the HW40, and I don't believe that any price increase from Webley is in any way justified. Of course it's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it, but I certainly won't if they do.

Furthermore, I made a reference to its alleged uber-performance by considering just how much better it could be than plenty of pistols already out there, with the popular HW40 as an example.

Now for a consumer like me that values build quality and design over a feature list, this is relevant and important.

To me there's no point in praising performance without assessing quality of design and build, to you maybe not.

As I see it there hasn't been a single direct response to my main point, and that's likely as they are still so new. I was hoping that some owners might be a bit objective and raise their views on BUILD QUALITY after owning one for some time. Ideally using the HW40 as a benchmark, as they both share many aspects as far as build is concerned.
    Last edited by shammo; 17-06-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If you clamp an HW40, to eliminate the shooter's skill from the equation, you can practically get each shot through the same hole at 10m, so how much better than that can an Alecto perform?

I just ran a 10 shot string through my HW40 and the variation was 2fps overall!!!

The Turkish manufacturers of the Alecto are not really comparable to Weihrauch are they? Sure they may indeed turn out to be comparable, in a few more decades!

Until they do, there'll always be a justified question mark over their reliability, and future support, which considering they're pitting themselves against the likes of Weihrauch, you'd think a firm with any sense might try to market its reliability... Assuming it's even there to market?

You buy a Weihrauch today, and you have peace of mind that you'll always be able to get your hands on spares, and parts. Not to mention it's proven reliability.

imo, you can't really ignore good engineering and reliability when rating any kit, and Zoraki still have a lot to prove.
    Invite to Alecto owners or a straight HW40 good- Alecto let's knock it?

Question Alecto

Hi Mike.

Maybe I will join in the comps for the right reasons, ie/ me simply wanting to get involved, but I won't just in order to prove a point I wasn't trying to make.

If you really wanted me to prove the point I was making then having one of each pistol in each calibre, clamped in a vice, and firing a long string of shots at various ranges in conditions similar to the range of pistol competitions said pistols could be used in would demonstrate my guess that the Alecto won't be all that better, if at all. As far as getting shots where you want them is concerned.

The point I am making is that the Alecto's reliability is in question due to its apparently lesser quality to the HW40, and I don't believe that any price increase from Webley is in any way justified. Of course it's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it, but I certainly won't if they do.

Furthermore, I made a reference to its alleged uber-performance by considering just how much better it could be than plenty of pistols already out there, with the popular HW40 as an example.

Now for a consumer like me that values build quality and design over a feature list, this is relevant and important.

To me there's no point in praising performance without assessing quality of design and build, to you maybe not.

As I see it there hasn't been a single direct response to my main point, and that's likely as they are still so new. I was hoping that some owners might be a bit objective and raise their views on BUILD QUALITY after owning one for some time. Ideally using the HW40 as a benchmark, as they both share many aspects as far as build is concerned.
    I admit i do buy on performance as the main point i do not care who made it or where its made. "All" manufacturers source components worldwide these days. A cnc machine works equally well in any country. I do see your point, but differ...mike...

a very good pistol for the price you pay but i have 2 moans abouts it and i think they are justified.

1. why fit torx heads instead of good old fashioned hex key bolts?
    2. its unfair that the left handed version cost more money.

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    a very good pistol for the price you pay but i have 2 moans abouts it and i think they are justified.

What's wrong with Torx head screws?
    I do agree with point 2, though.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post

Torx is a good system but that's a fair point as into plastic and cast metal it's unlikely you'll need the higher torque capability.
    In making a left hand version Webley had two options, make right handed buyers contribute to the tooling costs for LH production or sell LH models for more. Frankly I'm impressed that they considered responding to the demand for LH grips, most manufacturers of sub £200 pistols just don't bother at all,
    Regards,
    Nick

The OP is "views" on the Alecto right, and I've expressed mine. My views are no less relevant than yours or anyone else's.
    In a discussion, the views of all are relevant. However, yours carry less weight than views of those who have used the pistol extensively. Sorry, that's the way it works.

Quote Originally Posted by shammo
    I personally value build quality and design over other aspects, and my reasoning as to why made perfectly clear.
    No problem. Personally I favour performance above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by shammo
    MY point to add about views on the Alecto is about build quality, and I consider chrome plating as cheap and tacky,
    Fine, but these views on "build quality" are subjective. If you get the chance try a Feinwerkbau 65 next your HW40, then come back and talk to us about build quality All things are relative. You've no idea how reliable or not the Alecto will turn out to be.

and just one indicator of its lesser design,
    Right.

OK, here's a pic of my Steyr LP10:
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...LP10HakkoL.jpg

Not chromed but it has a silver finish. It serves no purpose. It affects the function not one iota from the black finish. They also do blue and gold air cylinders of all things. But of course that's all just style over content and "indicates lesser design". By the way you can buy 10 HW40s for the new price of one of those.

I also stand by the value of shot-to-shot consistency as a reliable measure of performance, and to those that don't... Fair enough!
    I don't. It's a measure, but it can only give you an idea. Many people get truly obsessed by it, spending time and money pursuing the holy grail of no velocity variation. Some have even given the phenomenon a name: chronoitis In the real world a few fps makes very little difference.

Your arguments are assertion and opinion with no evidence base. "I've read...I've heard...". Why not find out for real before spouting off? Just a thought.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    In a discussion, the views of all are relevant. However, yours carry less weight than views of those who have used the pistol extensively. Sorry, that's the way it works.

No problem. Personally I favour performance above all else.

Fine, but these views on "build quality" are subjective. If you get the chance try a Feinwerkbau 65 next your HW40, then come back and talk to us about build quality All things are relative. You've no idea how reliable or not the Alecto will turn out to be.

Right.

OK, here's a pic of my Steyr LP10:
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...LP10HakkoL.jpg

Not chromed but it has a silver finish. It serves no purpose. It affects the function not one iota from the black finish. They also do blue and gold air cylinders of all things. But of course that's all just style over content and "indicates lesser design". By the way you can buy 10 HW40s for the new price of one of those.

I don't. It's a measure, but it can only give you an idea. Many people get truly obsessed by it, spending time and money pursuing the holy grail of no velocity variation. Some have even given the phenomenon a name: chronoitis In the real world a few fps makes very little difference.

Your arguments are assertion and opinion with no evidence base. "I've read...I've heard...". Why not find out for real before spouting off? Just a thought.
    It's almost touching that you care so much about my opinions.

I made my points, you don't agree.

You made yours, I don't agree.

You think you thoughts are more important than mine... Whatever.

I disagree, by the way
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    It's almost touching that you care so much about my opinions.

I made my points, you don't agree.

You made yours, I don't agree.

You think you thoughts are more important than mine... Whatever.

I disagree, by the way
    Adam is right, the views of someone how has used the gun over a period of time outweigh the views of someone who hasn't.

i own both pistols, and the alecto out shoots the hw40 every time.
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Guys Guys Guys! This person cannot be reasoned with, he'll have you doin this forever! He's made up his mind, so why bother trying to convince him otherwise. We know he's full of it, as will be apparent to anyone else, so don't waste you breath (fingers?). If he put as much effor into shooting as he does fighting his little corner, he might find he can be just as accurate with both pistols! Oh yea...he doesn't even own an Alecto FFS!

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Interesting thread this. Here's my two pence worth, for what it's worth

I've owned both the HW40 & the Alecto & I've shot both in the comps.

Build quality is slightly better on the HW40, an example is the accuracy in location of the trigger adjustment screws of the Alecto. On mine I had to wiggle the key around to find the screw head. The mouldings are again slightly better on the HW40 although the Alecto does have the advantage of the textured grip and the palm shelf, however odd it appears to some people. The addition of chrome is a bonus as far as I'm concerned, especially on the trigger. An older HW40 has a dull finish on the trigger probably as a result of sweat. Makes absolutely no difference to performance it just looks a bit nicer IMO.

As for accuracy I personally found the the HW40 was more accurate for me. The grip on the Alecto was too small for me and I struggled to get a good hold. I can't make any comments over shot consistancy at different pump levels. I don't have a chrono and frankly as I only shoot at a maximum of 10mtrs in my back garden, I'm not bothered.

Who knows how reliable the Alecto will be over time. No one has that answer and comments negative or positive are pure conjecture. There is no proof either way at the moment IMO.

I sold both my HW40 & Alecto. The Alecto as previously mentioned because the grip was too small, the HW40 because I bought a Rohm Sport, a far more accurate pistol than either of the former two, again IMO.

Oh by the way shammo the HW40 is only available in .177 so there really was no point in stating that in your sig. If it was me I would change it to give yourself a little credibility, yet again IMO.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post

Oh by the way shammo the HW40 is only available in .177 so there really was no point in stating that in your sig. If it was me I would change it to give yourself a little credibility, yet again IMO.
    Sorry to have to correct you big fella, but the HW40 comes in .177, .20, .22 I've had all three, and i heard a rumour there's a .25 barrel as well, though this could be something Nick has knocked up in his lunch break. The HW45 comes in the same flavours.
    Last edited by cookie; 18-06-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: added
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.