Thread: Umarex Blow Back Pistols

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

Umarex Blow Back Pistols

Hi guys & gals, I was hoping to have this published but it didn't happen so I thought I'd share this with you all.

I hope you enjoy reading it.

How much fun can you take? Part 1

This is what Blow Back pistols are all about, fun & lots of it.

That’s how I want to start this introduction to the world of the Umarex Blow Backs.

When I first started in air pistols, only 8 months ago, I was drawn to the ubiquitous Smith & Wesson 586, the weight, look, realism & the desire to be Detective Harry Callaghan was what got me hooked on Co2 pistols. I own a Weihrauch HW40 that I use exclusively for the UBC comps, but all the rest are Co2. Since then many of these have passed through my hands. The ones that stand out are the Blow Backs; these are designed to replicate the feeling of a live semi automatic.

Umarex have a long history of producing realistic, almost 1:1 copies of some of the world’s best known firearms. They copy the build materials of the originals as near as possible. These pistols will have the catches, safeties & releases that the original would have had fitted. Working or not, they are faithfully reproduced to add to the realism.

These are not target pistols, but they shouldn’t be dismissed as toys or plinkers because some of them are surprisingly accurate.

They belong in a category all of their own. Grin Inducers are probably the best way to describe them, even when these are just dry fired they are such fun, like cap pistols for grown ups.

Walther PPK/S

The first to be introduced was the Walther PPK/S in 2002. Familiar to all James Bond fans as Ian Fleming chose this for his iconic hero’s go to gun.

The firearm was introduced in 1929 as the PP (Polizei Pistole), in 1931 it was improved to become the PPK (Polizei Pistole Kriminal) in this guise it was a standard issue to the German forces during WW11. The /S designation was added following the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968 in the US. As America was one of the largest markets for Walther the pistol was redesigned to come in line with the act. The problem being it was too small in size. Walther used the PP frame with the PPK frame and combined these with a slightly longer grip and magazine. This makes the PPK/S around 2oz heavier at 22ozs and the magazine can hold one more round. PPK/S now standing for Polizei Pistole Kriminal/Special, quite a mouthful.

Umarex’s PPK/S is a very sweet little pistol, as in the original it is made fully in metal, in a variety of finishes. There is even a black model with pink grips available!

This is a 4.5mm BB pistol and has a magazine capacity of 15 BBs. The safety fitted to the slide is a dummy with the actual safety fitted to the right hand side. It weighs a reassuring 20ozs and sits very comfortably in the hand. This is fitted with an unrifled 3.5” barrel which does limit it’s accuracy a little, but it is quite accurate over it’s 10’ – 25’ recommended range. Uniquely this is the only model that can be field stripped. Pull down and hold the front of the trigger guard and the slide can be slid back and upwards revealing the mechanism. Reassembly is simply a reversal of the procedure. Sights are a standard notch and post arrangement and are fixed. The left hand grip is removable to allow insertion of a 12gm Co2 bulb, it is then secured and pierced by a plastic “wing nut” that hangs from the foot of the grip. The magazine release is on the left hand side; a gentle press releases the slim plastic magazine. It is only the external bulb securing device that gives this away as being a BB pistol. Once all the BBs have been fired the side locks out in the rearward position and won’t release until either a fresh full magazine is inserted, or the magazine is removed. At which point the slide is pulled backward and allowed to return to its normal position.

This is quite an economical pistol as far as Co2 consumption is concerned. You could easily see 100 – 120 shots per bulb.

Walther CP99 Compact

During 2006 two new models were introduced. One of these was the CP99 Compact.

This was based on the P99 that Walther initiated in 1994 and launched in 1996. It was designed as a new modern style police pistol and looked to improve upon the CP88 which was considerably more expensive. The frame was constructed of polymer and featured a metal slide. The P99C was the compact version, which is available in a variety of versions.

Umarex produced a pistol that is stunningly like the original, it weighs in at a comfy 27ozs and like the PPK/S this is a 4.5mm BB pistol. Like the original this is constructed with a polymer frame and a metal slide, there is useable weaver rail on the underside of the barrel. Umarex manufacture a laser sight specifically for this model, they also offer one for the PPK/S as well.

The magazine is an ambidextrous affair integrated in the rear of the trigger guard. A press of this releases the more substantial metal magazine, with a capacity of 18 BBs. The safety is mounted on the right hand side just below the slide. The operation of this takes a little getting used to, to release you need to pull back on the shark teeth type serration’s against the spring hold it there and at the same time move it upwards. This can be a two handed affair at first, but it does get easier. As this pistol has a concealed hammer there is an additional visual aid. When it is cocked you will see a small red dot in the rear of the slide. If the safety is then applied the pistol will decock and the indicator drops. Almost opposite the safety is the slide release, as in the PPK/S the slide locks in the rearward position when the magazine is empty. A press of the release returns the slide to its normal position.

The rear of the grip is removable to access the Co2 chamber. On the foot of the grip there is moveable plate that release the bulb. The bulb is inserted in the chamber, and then the knurled brass screw is hand tightened to secure it. When the plate is swung back the bulb is pierced and the pistol is ready for use. The sights are again standard notch & post and are fixed. The barrel is smooth and reasonably short at around 4”, but again it is quite accurate in it’s 10’ - 25’ range. Co2 consumption is quite frugal giving you around 100 shots per Co2 bulb.

Here's Part 2 http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467683
    Last edited by Paul55; 30-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Nice write-up, Paul.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thanks Jim, much appreciated
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Blowbacks

Good stuff, thank you. Have you tried Airgun World?
    I can't get above 5 mags out of my PPK before the blowback cuts out, although it'll still fire double action for a while after that.
    In fact it seems impossible to completely empty the CO2 bulb, it just gets weaker and weaker.
    ADE

Thanks for your comments In answer to the the fact you can't get more than 5 mags from a single Co2, I think that's about right. When you think that's 90 shots and it's powering the blow back as well it's pretty good. With a blow back pistol you never will be able to fully empty a Co2 cart.

Actually that's not strictly true, a Desert Eagle goes full auto for around 5-6 shots as it runs out. It's really quite scary
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Nice write up Paul, you have obviously done a bit of research re dates and things.
    Shame it didn't get published. I was looking forward to seeing one of my photos in a magazine. And I counted all those pixels one by one too, to ensure that the photo was of high enough definition.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Yeah, I know how how you feel

Still at least it's been aired on here

Sorry about the pics, I did appreciate the effort.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Perhaps Tony can use the pics if he agrees to put it on the UBC site. It would be a shame not to use them after all the effort you went to to get them.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

i had a Beretta PX4 Storm
    only trouble was,it has fixed sights,,,and they shot to the right