Thread: Umarex Blow Back Pistols Part 2

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

Umarex Blow Back Pistols Part 2

Here's part 2

Desert Eagle

Released to an eager public, along with the CP99 Compact, was the Desert Eagle, the first .177 pellet firing Blow Back pistol from the Umarex stable.

The original was designed and developed by Magnum Research Inc (MRI), a privately held corporation based in Fridley, Minnesota, in 1979. It was initially manufactured by Israel Military Industries (IMI) from 1982 until 1995 when MRI moved the contract to Saco Defense in Maine. In 2000 MRI again moved the contract back to IMI, who later reorganised themselves to Israel Weapons Industries (IWI). Both Saco and IMI/IWI were purely contractors all the intellectual rights belong to MRI.

The Desert Eagle is a large framed gas operated semi automatic pistol, it’s magazine can hold up to a maximum of 9 rounds (.357) depending on calibre. The gas powered action is more normally found in rifles such as the M16. Its main advantage is the ability to use the much larger calibres that are normally reserved for magnum revolvers. The downside is the very large physical size of this pistol. It weighs an alarming 4lbs! They were available with an alloy frame, which reduced the weight by around 10ozs.

Umarex’s take on this was an all polymer based pistol, frame and slide, with an all metal action. This allows this model to weigh a more reasonable 39ozs and it’s a cracker.

The slide release opens the front of the barrel and reveals the standard 8 shot circular magazine. The safety is ambidextrous and is mounted on the rear of the slide. This doesn’t lock the trigger, but does stop the Co2 being released so you can use this for trigger practice with no fear of accidentally firing the pistol. The sights are notch & post but this time the rear is adjustable for windage.

As this has the longest barrel yet at 5.5” and it’s also rifled this is the most accurate yet within its range. With a polymer slide the recoil is not as hard as the other pistols and this also helps with the accuracy level. In a bid to cater to users tastes the Co2 bulb is installed through the foot of the grip and secured/pierced with a large slotted brass plug. Umarex supply a purpose built key to tighten this. This way there is nothing hanging down to affect it realistic look. The barrel has a moulded in Weaver rail on the top and in current models another rail is supplied that fits to the underside via two pre drilled holes. There is one drawback to this pistol though and that is the Co2 consumption. All Blow Back pistols use some of the Co2 to power the slide but for some reason this one is the greediest. You will probably get 45 – 50 shots from this at a maximum.

Beretta PX4 Storm

Finally in early 2008 Umarex released the Beretta PX4 Storm.

The original was released in 2004 as an update to the Beretta 92FS, which had been the official service weapon for the US armed forces for the past 20 years. Used extensively by law enforcement officers the PX4 was easier to use in a concealed carry situation due to its much more rounded trigger guard. It had more rounded edges to ensure an easier draw and most importantly is much lighter due to being manufactured in polymers with a steel slide. It comes with interchangeable back straps to allow for different size hands. Sights are a step up from the norm as well, being a 3 dot tactical set up. These are also phosphorescent and with a short exposure to light they will glow brightly for up to 30secs.

Umarex produced an almost exact replica, manufactured in polymer with a steel slide. It has the same type of safety as we saw on the CP99 Compact. The magazine release is a button on the left hand side at the rear or of the trigger guard. Co2 placement is again identical to CP99 Compact, a good proven system. Sights are again fixed, but they are marked up with the 3 white dot tactical system although not phosphorescent as on the live firearm. There is a moulded in Weaver rail on the underside of the barrel. On the Recon model I have included pics on, this is where the bridge mount attaches. The moderator you can see is there for show only the red dot is actually a green dot made by Walther.

The magazine is a clever piece of engineering. The barrel is rifled for the .177 pellets, but the magazines will also take 4.5mm BBs as well. They are double ended so when you have shot the first eight pellets, just press the release button, keep your hand underneath the grip because the magazine comes out really quickly, spin it over, push it back in and you’re on your way again. The magazines at either end will hold 8 of your preferred ammo. BBs are kept in place by a built in magnet and held central by small locating ribs.

With the rifling this is again a quite accurate pistol, with BBs as well as pellets although the former obviously have the edge. Co2 consumption is quite reasonable with around 60 – 65 shots per bulb or around 4 magazines.

This is the ultimate Blow Back pistol to date, with its conservative Co2 consumption, easy magazine change and reasonable accuracy it may even be useful as an IPAS pistol.

Where Umarex will go from here is anyone’s idea, but I feel sure there will be more.

Pics should be here http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Blow%20backs/

Thanks for looking

Here's Part 1 http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...61#post4392161
    Last edited by Paul55; 30-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Bloody Fantastic Paul, and these never made it to print, go figure

Some very good detail in there, and even learn't a couple of things i didn't no.

Top writing thanks for sharing with us.

Cookie
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Cookie seconded!

Do you think the Beretta or the CP would qualify as pocket / backup /concealment pistols?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post

Some very good detail in there, and even learn't a couple of things i didn't no.

Cookie
    Thanks Jason, in fairness there were problems with the picture quality. Umarex in Germany were more than happy to help, but they wanted to liase with a UK journalist, which I'm obviously not. It got a bit confused then and I decided to publish it here rather lose it altogether.

If anyone wants to use this commercially I have absolutely no objections, I would like to have a byline though
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Excellent well-written review!

How about putting it on the UBC website, complete with pics? Would look superb on a nicely formatted web page. Why not have a word with Tony.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post

How about putting it on the UBC website, complete with pics? Would look superb on a nicely formatted web page. Why not have a word with Tony.
    Thanks very much I'm really pleased that this has gone down so well.

I'll certainly have a word with Tony.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post

Thanks Adam, I spoke to Tony about this but he no longer does this. I would love to be able to do that but I have no idea where to start
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post

Cookie
    +1

agree with everything said, I am the proud owner of a desert eagle (among many other umarex) and it's just an animal!! it's also a firm favourite down the club and is my most borrowed pistol, plus the gas consumption is offset against the grin factor