Thread: 92FS Cartridge piercing issue ??

92FS Cartridge piercing issue ??

Evening all.

I've put around 2500 pellets through my 92FS since I have had it. I now need two washers between the bottom of the co2 bulb and the cartridge screw to get it to work.

The 'needle' at the valve end is no longer sharp and does not appear to create a proper hole as such. I have looked on Chambers website and they sell the whole valve assembly for £20. Is this what I need or can I just buy the piercing bit somewhere?

Seccondly, Is it relatively stright forward to fit ?

Many thanks for your kind attentions

RMY
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.

Talk to Brocock direct as it might be cheaper than Chambers.
    We tried to buy just the piercer for one of our customers and received the whole valve assembly.

Jonathan

Its been a while since i had my 92 apart, but i assume the internals are similar to the CP88 in which case it's not to tricky to replace the assembly, just take your time, and dismantle in a clear plastic bag, it will stop you hunting around on your hands and knees looking for ball bearings and springs
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

I have owned 2 brand new Umarex 92FS pistols and seen a few more, they all seem to make very small holes in the caplet and do not appear to pierce them properly, some even appear to be merely dented but they are not. In fact neither does my Umarex S&W 6".

I just figured this was a "feature" of the Umarex CO2 pistol. I have seen mention of it on forums before. If I thought buying a new valve would be the answer I would do so, but having seen brand new pistols in this situation, I doubt that a brand new valve would help much. I think Brocock, Umarex, whoever the heck actually make these guns/valves would do better to lengthen/strengthen/improve the piercing probe.

Another angle might be if anyone knows of after-market or 3rd party valves that do a better job.

I'm almost convinced that the very small piercing restricts the gas flow which in turn reduces the power of the pistol BUT I am no expert and may be completely wrong on this.

All the best
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by relivingmyyouth View Post

Seccondly, Is it relatively stright forward to fit ?
    Not often I post on the forum these days but when I saw a "stright" I just had to log in! Thought "strights" became extinct on here many moons ago but it's great to see they're still around

Been an equally long time since I last gave my Umarex's an airing but I do recall a problem we encountered which may be worth checking out while you're at it.

You mention that you need to shim up the cartridge with washers to get it to work. I assume you mean you now need these in order for the cartridge to reach the piercing pin on the valve? If so, we noticed the same problem that you are encountering on a couple of our guns and also went the washer route but discovered the fault wasn't with the piercing pin but due to overtightening the cartridge screw which in turn overpressured the latching mechanism.

It was actually the latching mechanism which was at the root of the problem as it had been bent out of shape. We didn't notice it until eventually we found that the screw could no longer be turned as it was now held solid by the damaged latch. Fitting a new latch and screw (couldn't get the old screw to budge!) solved the problem and together with being a bit more judicious when replacing cartridges, we have never had trouble since.

Might be worth checking out?

I'm a filly stright forward kinda filla yi know....

Thanks all for your input.

Guncollector, your point about the latch mechanism is particularly interesting because the tightening screw has always been extremely stiff; to the point of needing pliers to turn it so maybe that is the problem.

The cost of the valve is not really the issue, but I dont like buying things that are not really required....

Chambers supply the Piercing ping (Part No. PW236) for £3.00
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Numpty

Doh

I missed that last night. Should have had my glasses on....

I'll check it out further today. Thanks all

RMY

How are you getting on with the piercing pin? if you get one and it works, would you mind posting on here?

All the best
    Bob