Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Book

Webley Book

Where's me book then aye..... I thought Mr Thrale was driving round the country like Postman Pat, dropping em off.

Haven't you heard, Peter? Publication's been delayed to 31st August 2016. Something about giving collectors a chance to build up stocks of Webley rifles before the price skyrockets.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Webely book

Gentlemen.I received E mail 20th July to say likely date could now be 30th Sept. Also a price increaseof 40% because of quality required.

Webley book

Confirmed, I got the same email. Sit tight chaps(esses)

Can't wait that long...I only wanted to know where to drill n tap a scope rail on me MK 1 rifle.
    I'll just take measurements off an Relum Tornado or summat.

Looks like a nice ruse to make it a sought after collectors' item before it's even appeared! Nice bit of publishers' price boosting!

I have two on order (one for me and one for a good friend) but if they play these games I won't be having mine!

Got all my Webleys now!!

ATVB
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Webley book

Binners, If you,re ever in Oxfordshire, sure a decrepit old relum you would be able to take your critical measurements from,all joking aside wait for Chrises new book price increase included.Pete.

Yes it should be good.

I have to say that although I have had this book on order I will not be getting mine as a protest!! I think it is diabolical to announce such a large price increase almost in a matter of fact manner! All this after stating a previous price which is obviously going to be nothing like the prices quoted when we all placed orders.

Webley book

Steve, The proverb goes ,you get what what you you pay for, and its true.I have learnt over the years this is fact. let this book slip through your grasp.I am certain this book could be very important in years to come,and you could regret not paying alittle more now.I do agree with your statement about the price, but how much will it cost in the future? (if you can find one?)

I really appreciate the advice but I feel so strongly about the way this affair is being conducted I will stick to my guns and not get the book.I will just carry on enjoying my webley guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jackieboy View Post
    Steve, The proverb goes ,you get what what you you pay for, and its true.I have learnt over the years this is fact. let this book slip through your grasp.I am certain this book could be very important in years to come,and you could regret not paying alittle more now.I do agree with your statement about the price, but how much will it cost in the future? (if you can find one?)
    I fail to see what relevance the phrase 'you get what you pay for' has in this instance given that nobody knows what the quality of the book is as yet because it hasn,t been published

Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    I have to say that although I have had this book on order I will not be getting mine as a protest!! I think it is diabolical to announce such a large price increase almost in a matter of fact manner! All this after stating a previous price which is obviously going to be nothing like the prices quoted when we all placed orders.
    The phrase 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' springs to mind. It's obviously up to you what you do Steve but missing out on what will almost certainly be a 'must have' airgun book is a high price to pay for being miffed at the way the publishers have gone about it. When you take into account the effort and expertise that has gone into producing this book, £40 or £50 is an absolute bargain for anyone interested in vintage Webley rifles. The delay is frustrating, sure, but hardly a deal breaker.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    I fail to see what relevance the phrase 'you get what you pay for' has in this instance given that nobody knows what the quality of the book is as yet because it hasn,t been published
    You only have to look at the quality of the posts by the author (slug-gun on here) to know that it will be a top read.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I think the replies do reflect the fact that this is Collectors' Corner and no doubt the book will be highly desirable in that context in years to come - fine if one has lots of years to come and is an "out and out" collector.

Noses and faces have nothing to do with the issue unless the collecting aspect is the only point! It may well make a very good read and many of us judged it to be worth paying a certain amount (the WHS discounted price not the originally quoted publisher's price necessarily) which nicely turns round the "old saying" into "you pay for what you get" (or at least least you decide what it is worth to you)!! I don't think the content has changed since the initial offers!

However, it will be nice to see what reaction it gets when it is finally published but looks like I and a few others don't think it is worth paying £70 (or discounted to ??) for "a good read".

But then, the world is made up of people with differing values and opinions and that is just as it should be and makes life interesting!

Good luck to you all, whichever way you wish to go!

David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!