Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamo Compact Trigger?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Doesn't look like the adjustable palm shelf model - no matter, if the grip is'nt quite good enough a dremmel and plastic wood can easily fix that...

Yea it isn't but like you say I can modify it or even buy a new grip as they still make them. I'm hoping it fits as it's 'medium' and I reckon my hands are 'medium'
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

That's exactly the same as mine, a typical Mk 1 version. Information is scarce on these pistols but most of the pictures I have seen of the Mk 1 show the fixed palm shelf, the adjustable shelf model either came later or was an extra. The Mk 1 is apparently the better version, more solidly built, the Mk 2 uses plastic for some components that are metal on the Mk 1 (so I am told, I have never personally handled a Mk 2). Yours looks to have slightly better bluing and a somewhat cleaner grip than mine.
    But I got mine for £150
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Damn good price

When did you buy it?

The current models new are like £600 aren't they?

A big part of me buying it was because they are meant to be easy to maintain, what with the O rings being easy to get hold off cheaply etc.
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming Monkey View Post
    Damn good price

When did you buy it?

The current models new are like £600 aren't they?

A big part of me buying it was because they are meant to be easy to maintain, what with the O rings being easy to get hold off cheaply etc.
    ok ask yourself this question......what 2nd hand target pcp pistol can you get for new fas604 money then ask yourself ''is it worth it?''....steyr lp1/2/5.....is the fas604 such a bargain...imho no,very overpriced considered the market and technology has moved on.

Also look at the gamo compact shooters scores in the UBC postal comps.....upper 80's and 90's....i think i scored 91 in 1 comp with my compact and i was using right handed grips with my left hand.
    Last edited by ikarma70; 28-07-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Yeah they seem very expensive for new.

Although I have to disagree about the Gamo Compact...I really didn't like the one I tried...

...but haven't tried one with a good trigger, so can't slate them.

Although making a pistol with the incorrect screw length for trigger adjustment is just bizarre
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    ok ask yourself this question......what 2nd hand target pcp pistol can you get for new fas604 money then ask yourself ''is it worth it?''....steyr lp1/2/5.....is the fas604 such a bargain...imho no,very overpriced considered the market and technology has moved on.

Also look at the gamo compact shooters scores in the UBC postal comps.....upper 80's and 90's....i think i scored 91 in 1 comp with my compact and i was using right handed grips with my left hand.
    I'd have to contradict you there Ikarma.

An older 604 with adj palm is easily worth a good £250. Put one up for sale on a pony club or pentathlon club website and you'd best be sure your arm is firmly attached or you will loose it!

Without doubt the 604/606 is the best over lever match quality pistol ever made although I concede the newer models aren't in the same league. Remember these were used at the highest level of 10m before PCPs became widely available and in the right hands are probably as good as a top PCP.

The Gamo's and HW's don't even come close.

At £200 its worth getting a new grip.

Bob
    Last edited by Prone Shooter; 29-07-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Thanks Bob you've just made me feel like I've made a good purchase

Will let y'all know how I get on with it.
    TX200 MK 3 .177
    FAS 604 .177

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    I'd have to contradict you there Ikarma.

An older 604 with adj palm is easily worth a good £250. Put one up for sale on a pony club or pentathlon club website and you'd best be sure your arm is firmly attached or you will loose it!

Without doubt the 604/606 is the best over lever match quality pistol ever made although I concede the newer models aren't in the same league. Remember these were used at the highest level of 10m before PCPs became widely available and in the right hands are probably as good as a top PCP.

The Gamo's and HW's don't even come close.

At £200 its worth getting a new grip.

Bob
    If you are going to contradict me please read my full post and not misquote me like you have just done.
    I did state ''new fas604 money'',however i agree the fas604 is definitely a good used buy at the right money...i could go into why i ended up with a compact instead of the fas604 i seen but that would only make my pee boil

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I had one of the first 604's back in the early 80's and shot to a high level with it (380's ex 400), it is a superb pistol and a good class above the compact which is an economy pistol.
    Now as an "the older I get the better I was" shooter I had to get another one for nostagia's sake, picked up a new one last year. It is as good as the old one, and shoots just as well. The build quality is, well, a bit "Italian", but if well maintained it is reliable (well, as reliable as any Italian machine ever is!). The finish was a bit rough, mainly the aluminumum main frame, so intending to refinish it I stripped and polished it, it looked so good I never refinished it, just spent a bit more time polishing and buffing the frame, so mine now has a pollished alloy frame and looks very trick.
    The standard triggers are good, but are a bit fiddly to set up well, but with patience can be adjusted to be very good (look on Pilkguns site, coaching and info, 10P files, for info if you don't have the spec sheets). If you need any seals or work doing, contact Robert Cleverly, Checkmate guns, 01257 260132, he is an expert on 604's.
    I use a Steyr LP2 compact for my shooting but only to save the old muscles, I shoot no better than with the FAS.
    I'll try and take some pictures as it not only shoots well but now looks a bit bling.
    Good Shooting
    Robin

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Ok, before Harvey jumps in with comments about sun glasses being required , its quite a bit bling!

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    If you are going to contradict me please read my full post and not misquote me like you have just done.
    I did state ''new fas604 money'',however i agree the fas604 is definitely a good used buy at the right money...i could go into why i ended up with a compact instead of the fas604 i seen but that would only make my pee boil
    You'll have to excuse my weary brain and eyes of last night mate. In the cold light of day and having re-read your post a couple more times, yes I see what you were trying to say.

With my newly enlightened understanding, I'd still contradict you though With a PCP you've got the added expense of a pump or bottle to contend with in addition to your 2nd hand PCP which still makes the FAS a good price if thats all you can afford. Bearing in mind the target market of the 604's being junior competitors, both here and in France/Italy in particular whose budget (or parents budget) may be limited, then your own new "top of the range" 10m pistol will oft be the preferred choice over a 2nd hand PCP.

There's also the issue of an over lever being safer for young people as opposed to 3,000psi stuck in a divers bottle waiting to be abused and believe me, I've seen some scary handling of compressed air on a range by kids or the parents

I do agree that the price of a new FAS is insane, but you're paying for accuracy and control and does a £1300 FBW or £1100 Steyr really warrant the price tag?

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975