Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Service Mk2 3rd edition

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I've been considering one of these for a time and prices seem very variable.
    I'm no expert - but as a potential buyer I'm surprised at some of the estimates because to me the barrel lock seems to wrung at an angle or worn (4th picture down...) and there seems to be a gap between this and the breech block I've not seen on other rifles....
    This and the refinish would devalue the rifle I would have thought to nearer the £300 mark.
    £300?...you sure?...the original .25 cal barrel is probably worth that alone on a good day, on the bay
    blah blah

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Nope, I'm not sure...As I said I'm no expert and to me the .25 cal barrel isn't worth a price premium, to others maybe and perhaps if what you say is true then sadly breaking iinto 2 sales of barrel and stock/action might even net the best price for the seller....

I have a similarly refurbished .177 model.
    I swapped it for a Randall knife worth around £300 two years ago.
    We were both happy with the deal.
    Which is worth more now?
    That needs a pretty rare expert I think.

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Service Mk II

My comments (for what they`re worth!). Refinishing is a matter of personal taste, when done properly a Mk II can look superb and may be preferable to a rusty,tatty example to some. Great care is needed to avoid blurring of stamping,lettering etc., but I have seen it done successfully. In contrast an example retaining appreciable original finish is best left alone; future generations can then appreciate exactly how they appeared. The rarer versions 1 & 2 are probably best left untouched if at all possible, but again I have seen a beautifully refinished 1st Version, reputedly done by Webley back when they were still prepared to do such jobs.
    With respect to this thread; it is the privelege of any potential buyer to attempt to depreciate, but, when was a matching numbers 0.25"cal model last seen on the BBS? Has anyone succeeded in buying a genuine Webley 0.25" cal barrel recently? If you have, how do you view the inevitablity that it will be a non matching number with your action?
    Ask yourself these questions before valuation and only then start considering defects, finish etc.
    I had the sheer good luck to obtain a late matching no.`s (S13157) 0.25"cal
    "Rook and Rabbit" version 3 earlier this year, it was never advertised,it came out of the blue from an improbable source, it has perhaps 90% original finish and it won`t be altered whilst I have it. If I hadn`t got this one then I`d be in the market for the one on this thread at £400-00 minimum.
    Last edited by Pagoda113; 29-07-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Laudator temporis acti

Exactly what Pagoda113 said.

By the way , what is a "Rook and Rabbit " version ....?

I bought a boxed original example a couple of years back , on here as it happens , for £600:00.
    A lot of money maybe , but thats the last 0.25 I saw For sale on here.

Thanks,

Sam

This is why it's called the 'Rook & Rabbit' gun:

http://mynetimages.com/cbd60abe95.jpg
    http://mynetimages.com/94d4954717.jpg

Sam, that boxed example is now worth considerably more than £600

We live and learn every day.

Thanks for the photo's of the leaflet , Troubledshooter , I havent seen that before.

Oh , and the free valuation :-)

Sam

Additional photos

Thank you all for your comments and observations so far. I have now taken more photographs of the box showing the John Knibbs return address and stamps from Marston Green 1992, the stock, the butt pad, the chequering and the serial number on the barrel and on the action. Any further comments would be much appreciated. Thanks Old Bull

The reason I asked about the box is because it might have been an original 'Webley Service' box, which would have considerably enhanced it's value, but, alas, it isn't.
    The butt plate appears to be an original that has had it's edges sanded to fit a slightly reduced stock size, although picture No.6 of the latest pictures, appears to show a spacer between the butt plate and the stock, or is it just a trick of the light ?

Here's some period reviews of the 'Service Mk.11' air rifle:

http://mynetimages.com/2955ffd445.jpg
    http://mynetimages.com/3778b3501d.jpg
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 29-07-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Additional Links

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post

I bought a boxed original example a couple of years back , on here as it happens , for £600:00.
    A lot of money maybe , but thats the last 0.25 I saw For sale on here.
    There have been two, three barrel Service Mk.II complete kits (each inc. a .177, .22 and .25 barrel), sold on here since Easter. One went for £800, and one for £750.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I would value this at £400 and maybe a bit more if the butt plate is an original. It looks like a replacement to my untrained eye.
    ... wot he said.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    There have been two, three barrel Service Mk.II complete kits (each inc. a .177, .22 and .25 barrel), sold on here since Easter. One went for £800, and one for £750.

I vaguely remember those two Gareth, but I meant a 0.25 Service on its own.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    I vaguely remember those two Gareth, but I meant a 0.25 Service on its own.

Sam
    ... Ahh yes, see what you mean. Haven't seen a solo barrel .25 Service Mk.II rifle for sale, for years, I don't think . Atb: G.

Webley service .25

As a matter of interest. I acquired S7681 in .25 with it's correct and numbered
    barrel inc a spare .22 barrel ( I suspect to be a non Webley product, but good)
    at an auction in Cardiff in march 2009. The hammer price was £360 with buyers premium added I paid a very few pence just over £403 and more than happy to do it!

The condition is very good and 'unmolested' with I would say 80% bluing and any wear and patination in keeping with it's age and usage. Just as it should be!

Thanks CHJF for your honesty/input......sounds like you were in the right place at the right time...cushty..