Thread: Webley why?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley why?

I have been wondering recently about Webley again? If an Osprey is more or less a side lever Hawk mk3, with the same trigger set up, mainspring, piston rings and I would guess, the same blank for the piston, then why didn,t they make a side lever Vulcan? Surely it would have made more sense to go up to Vulcan diameter cylinder and keep the Hawk/Osprey relationship than messing about with a piston weight for the Viscount/Tracker? You would have had modular sizes for cylinders,pistons,mainsprings,piston washer.
    How well would a full power sidelever have sold? You could still have a short Tracker style barrel and maybe even do away with the rachet system like a lot of people did.
    I need to get a life
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

hi mate, i think its a damn shame webley didnt think of head hunting you for the r and d dept;british airguns may well have taken a completely different path!
    by the way your the happy owner of an osprey;i will have a few shots over the weekend.
    bob
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Webley were always doing daft things like not putting a breech bolt on the Mk 1 and Mk 2 Vulcans, and fitting it with a narrow trigger blade.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I think Webley envisaged higher sales for the Osprey than they ever acheived. Consequently, when the Vulcan went on sale they probably had bin fulls of Osprey bodies that they didn't want to scrap, so they just made a new, up-dated piston to go in them.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley why?

Rather than start a new thread I thought I woul ask a question on here. On the Osprey,Tracker etc there is an O ring on the flange on the Rhs of the loading tap and I was wondering what difference it would have made if they had machined a groove to the Lhs of of where the pellet goes and fitted an O ring or other seal? I wonder whether anyone has done this? As piston seals are subjected to high pressure, I assume a seal would stand up to it in the breech? Any views?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Surely the reasoning behind the Tempest was to produce a compact version of the Hurricane, whose power was felt to be perfectly adequate?

Now maybe something the same overall size of the Hurricane could have been made, and would have looked better using the Tempest's compact rearsight - no rearward overhang to accomodate the rearsight - and with the cylinder extended forward the full length of the barrel. But jump forward ten years or so and we'd be cursing the Webley designers for making a nice powerful pistol, ideal for long range target shooting, if only they'd had the wit to enclose the barrel in a casing with scope rails on it like Weihrauch, with their new HW45, have just shown us is so useful?

(Perhaps I should just say at this point, the nearest I came to owning a Webley was nearly buying a Nemesis - I got a HW40 instead. So what do I know, eh?)

Iain