Thread: Steyr lp5 and defiants?

Steyr lp5 and defiants?

hello all, I am thinking of trying defiant pellets through my Steyr.
    Currently I'm using RWS R10's with some success...does anyone else use defiants or any of the lead-free pellets and what are they like?

Thanks
    Andy

Not good would be a polite answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Not good would be a polite answer.
    Would you care to expand on that answer please?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Andy,
    I happily bung lead free pellets through six inches of cheap Crosman barrel in my .22 Smith, I wouldn't consider running them through a quality target barrel.
    If you want domed pellets have you tried Accupells? The quality of Accupells seems very good currently,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Defiants are lead. Dynamic are zinc.
    Not tried either yet.
    Grumpy old Git
    Good deals with; WOLVES, wild dogman, Mr Fudd, sny86, jonnyhal, termin8R, the wizard, mashed104, matt007, Old Bull, Juice, baz77

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    Defiants are lead. Dynamic are zinc.
    Not tried either yet.
    nearly correct slimjim, they are made from ptfe coated lead alloy and as you said, the dynamics are lead free.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    they are made from ptfe coated lead alloy
    Slippery buggers, eh
    Grumpy old Git
    Good deals with; WOLVES, wild dogman, Mr Fudd, sny86, jonnyhal, termin8R, the wizard, mashed104, matt007, Old Bull, Juice, baz77

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    Slippery buggers, eh
    Oh yes and they fit the lp5 mag perfectly

I'm not sure I would want to use anything other than lead pellets in £1000 worth of match pistol. But I suppose if they are no harder than the lead ones then they should do no more damage to the barrel?

I know a few people at the club have tried them in various rifles and they have ALL moved back to a JSB based variant afterwards. At shorter ranges they seem to be O.K. further out they are not so good.

But pistol accuracy at 10m is a different thing and even cheap Geco pellets can produce one hole groups.

I am just trying to sort out a rig to clamp a few PCP pistols in, so we can answer a few of these questions through proper testing.

HTH

Mark

I agree with Magic and Cones.
    I think Dynamics tumble and are not as accurate as lead.
    To be fair I havent tried Defiants.
    You could ask Harry Preston at Steyr UK. But I bet he would say no and that your warranty would not be honoured, if you have one.
    Most pistols love RWS Gecos and they are cheap. Regards.
    Last edited by gingernut; 15-09-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add

Dynamics are tin not zinc. The new super light Thunderbolts are zinc, and Defiants are lead.

The Defiants are very accurately made and have very good weight distributions by all accounts but the "bullet" shape seems to make them suffer at longer range in 12 ft.lbs rifles. Accounts from the US seem to indicate they do group well at longer range in FAC rifles. There is a theory that they group as long as they're spinning fast but can tumble when they run out of steam. I can't see any of the above affecting pistols too much but I'm not putting the zinc things through my Steyr. The tin ones should be OK as tin is a bit harder than lead but still relatively soft. I see no reason why the defiants wouldn't be accurate in any pistol (subject to the usual fickleness of different barrels).

They will be used for 6 yard, 10 metre and pistol hft.

The few I tried through my lp5 started to group very tightly once I put a few through and the fit in the mag was lovely plus they work out cheaper than R10's.

I have used them plenty of times in pistols, they are lead, I wash the PTFE off and replace it with powerlube, they won't invalidate any warranty, as they are 7.5grn, they fly nice and flat in pistol HFT scenarios out to 25 yards.

Well worth a go, dunno about serious 10m stuff though.