Thread: Waxed Webley!

Waxed Webley!

HI - Picked up a Webley Mk I pistol last week and the action looks to be covered in wax...? Would this be as some sort of protection?

I was told to use thinner to remove the wax but am wary of doing any more damage to the blueing.

Does anybody have any experience of this? If my friend is right what thinner would you recommend?

Any help much appreciated
    Steve
    "When I die I want to die peacefully in my bed, not screaming like the passengers of the bus my grandad was driving" - Emo Phillips

Only use thinners as a last resort!
    White spirit will often do it for wax and, often overlooked, try a hair dryer and hey presto .wipe off.
    Let us know what works best for you.

I use isopropyl alcohol Buy it in 5 litre containers for about £15. It is the perfect degreaser.

If its a spray on type wax like the kind Abbey used to sell then WD40 works well.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to advise. I'll have a play this weekend starting with the least risky and let you know the results.

ATB
    Steve
    "When I die I want to die peacefully in my bed, not screaming like the passengers of the bus my grandad was driving" - Emo Phillips

edbear2 Guest
    Another vote for a hair dryer or WD.....be very careful with any solvent, especially with regard to the grips

Ballistol might be worth a go too.....it is totally safe stuff