Thread: 1950's / 60's BSA 3x scope??

edbear2 Guest

1950's / 60's BSA 3x scope??

Over the years, I have lost count of the various generic, Japanese made but Webley or BSA / Relum / Original etc. etc. branded 4 x 15 or 20 scopes I have seen at carboots, shops, fleabay etc.....But I have not encountered one of these before....It is all metal construction, apart from the elevation wheel, which is plastic, and windage adjustment is achieved at the front, by adjusting a cross screw....tension on the tube is kept by a stamped out and bent portion of the mounting body.

Markings......on the rear eyepiece, just "BSA 3x...Made in England", and on the mounting frame, a small Pylarm logo stamp.

Any info. please of when these were introduced, and would it be correct, period wise for the MK2 Airsporter it is on at the mo'

Ta in advance.....

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    The scope sounds like the one that was intended for the BSA Merlin. I'm surprised you managed to get it to fit on a MkII Airsporter, as I was under the impression that the Airsporter of that time had the same dovetail fittings as the Mk II Meteor. These were extra wide at about 15mm.
    The Merlin scope I had certainly wouldn't fit on my Mk II Meteor.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    The scope sounds like the one that was intended for the BSA Merlin. I'm surprised you managed to get it to fit on a MkII Airsporter, as I was under the impression that the Airsporter of that time had the same dovetail fittings as the Mk II Meteor. These were extra wide at about 15mm.
    The Merlin scope I had certainly wouldn't fit on my Mk II Meteor.
    HI Harry......Thanks for that.....I have a couple of Mk2's......One has 4 scalloped cut outs for the scope, and these are like you say, similar in width to the early Meteors....the one in the photo however has "traditional" full length cut outs at the normal width. I don't know the serials offhand, but assume it is a later gun...will check later.