Thread: Lubricating a metal slide...

Lubricating a metal slide...

Some advice, please. I collected my WE (6mm BB) gas blow-back Luger yesterday. It has a metal frame and slide. The pistol is powered by cannister gas as against to a CO2 capsule although the gas I use does contain a small amount of silicone oil which should take care of the internal washers and O-rings.

What should I use to lubricate the slide? The pistol is the chrome version.

I have a tub of moly grease and a tube of synthetic PTFE multi-purpose lubricant. I am tempted to use a little drop of Singer (sewing machine) oil, but if even the smallest amount comes into contact with the rubber O-rings? Pellgun Oil is not available.

Thanks in advance, Adrian.
    Last edited by Mr Meteor; 09-11-2010 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Clarification and adding "please"!

If it slides use Grease, if it rotates use Oil, that's the usual rule of thumb.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    If it slides use Grease, if it rotates use Oil, that's the usual rule of thumb.
    Thanks - I'll remember that! My concern is if I use the wrong stuff, then it could ruin the rubber/ plastic valve components inside the pistol. Ie. Would the PTFE grease work for metal to metal and/ or can moly lube do any harm to plastics and rubber?

Regards, Adrian.

Chaps, hope you dont mind me butting in here, where did you get the luger from?

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Chaps, hope you dont mind me butting in here, where did you get the luger from?
    A place called Suphanburi! I'm in Thailand for a while and air guns require a licence, so I sort of stumbled into airsoft - and have become rather hooked! At first glance, it's quite a nice piece of kit. I would still prefer lead pellets and rifled barrels... but you can't have everything (at least not until Terry returns from his visit to Umarex !).
    Regards, Adrian.

I use teflonoil for all my bigbore handguns. (legal here). But dont exaggerate!
    With a pencil, apply a thin layer on the slide's contact services.
    Such small amount wont go anywhere imo.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I use teflonoil for all my bigbore handguns. (legal here). But dont exaggerate!
    With a pencil, apply a thin layer on the slide's contact services.
    Such small amount wont go anywhere imo.
    Thanks for your reply. The "Super Lube" synthetic grease I have says it contains a PTFE (teflon) lubricant. I would only apply a very small amount. All advice appreciated.
    Regards, Adrian.

What should I use to lubricate the slide? The pistol is the chrome version.

Thanks in advance, Adrian.[/QUOTE]

Lugers have a " slide " as you should know if you own one !

They use a unique toggle action quite different to other autos .

Use synthetic purpose made airsoft oil or you will have trouble with the seals and washers .

Carl.
    " This , is MY safety "

Quote Originally Posted by PHOBUS View Post

Lugers have a " slide " as you should know if you own one !

They use a unique toggle action quite different to other autos .

Use synthetic purpose made airsoft oil or you will have trouble with the seals and washers .

Carl.
    Fair enough... lubricate my toggle !

The barrel assembly does in fact slide back about 1/4 inch, but most of the "work" is done by the toggle action. However, this toggle action in turn involves metal sliding on metal.

On field stripping, the barrel slides forward - it was here that I thought a little lubrication would be a good idea. I have seen the synthetic grease (Super Lube) recommended in a (local) airsoft magazine - just wanted to be on the safe side! The toggle action itself is very smooth.

All the best,
    Adrian.