Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pistol am I looking for?

What pistol am I looking for?

Well, I don't know yet - all I can do is describe what I am ideally looking for, but reckon I might have to make some compromises along the way.

Best short-hand way of describing it might be to list what my sadly departed Brocock TAC had:-

power - close to the 6 ft/lb limit (for more satisfying "thwacks" when plinking )
    rapid fire - revolver or semi-auto, either is fine, since again I like to try to rapidly shoot several targets when plinking.
    size - can live with a reasonably short gun, since I tend to use on <10m targets
    multi-shot - as per rapid fire
    accessories - ideally, would like to be able to mount a red dot / silencer (for plinking after hours), but again, this would be a preference rather than a definite.

Even with the TACs gone, the one plus point is that I now have a healthier bank balance than 8 years ago, so guns that I wouldn't have even considered on price are now in the reckoning. Even with the added financial muscle, I've gotten nowhere - I have done quite a bit of searching (here and via google) and I seem to have eliminated almost everything

spring loaded & single / multi-stroke are no good, due to speed issues
    CO2, broadly seem to lack the power - disappointing, since they meet all the other criteria - that being said, the cost of powerlets could make this an expensive hobby if I used one as my main plinker - would still be interested if there were ~ 6 ft /lb ones out there though!
    PCP - seems ideal, if a little large. Nearly all of the guns seemed aimed at the more serious shooter and so are larger and have scopes attached. Bigger issue for me is that all of them that I can find are bolt action, which I *think*, means I'd need to manually slide the bolt each time.

The two PCP's I have seen written about which might be of interest are the Falcon FN8 and the FX Ranchero - I know that they have the power and are available in multi-shot, but I have a feeling that neither are revolvers/semi-automatic, but can't confirm this point for sure...

So, any guidance gratefully received

One...

...of the Zastava/Drulov/CZ family True semi-auto 5 shots, decent power and excellent accuracy from their competition emphasis

Pries ranges according to their level of competition orientation (mainly gripp style). Co2 powered but don't let that put you off, they can be up there with TAC power
    Pardon?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you have the money (and you're not a closet cowboy) then the Styer LP50 is at the top of the tree.
    Forget about the whole 6 ft/lb thing - anything over 500 fps in a pistol and you start to fight a losing battle with muzzle flip and the corresponding loss of accuracy.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The Steyr LP5 Might be close - 5 clinically accurate shots, adjustable power, I'd like one
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

It depends exactly how much you wish to spend?

The almost PERFECT 5 shot semi automatic pistols are the Steyr LP5, LP50 and LP50E.

The Feinwerkbau 5 shots are also nice, but not as many of them around.

They are expensive, but a nice second hand one will not devalue much and the running cost as a PCP are very reasonable. They run around 4ft/lbs and you will not find a more accurate multishot pistol.

http://cones-stuff.co.uk/Steyr%20LP5...t%20Pistol.htm

HTH

Mark

Thanks all for the hints - looks like PCP is the way to go then.

Have seen this:-

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Pistols...e-gs14435.aspx

any thoughts? I do have fairly small hands (size "S" in mens ski gloves) and the size of the gun looks a bit "neater" to me, but am concerned about

1) is it too small?
    2) does shortened barrel mean significantly slower speeds?
    3) resale of an unusual PCP might take longer / result in hefty reductions?

Quote Originally Posted by Achitophel View Post
    Thanks all for the hints - looks like PCP is the way to go then.

any thoughts? I do have fairly small hands (size "S" in mens ski gloves) and the size of the gun looks a bit "neater" to me, but am concerned about

1) is it too small?
    2) does shortened barrel mean significantly slower speeds?
    3) resale of an unusual PCP might take longer / result in hefty reductions?

You need to get to a club really and try a few to see if they fit.

The above pistol is a single shot one, designed for slow fire events. If you are also looking at this type of pistol then you have a lot more choices.

A good S/H PCP should sell well in the right market for the right money. Higher quality should retain its value better that something less expensive would.

HTH

Mark

The two PCP's I have seen written about which might be of interest are the Falcon FN8 and the FX Ranchero - I know that they have the power and are available in multi-shot, but I have a feeling that neither are revolvers/semi-automatic, but can't confirm this point for sure...

So, any guidance gratefully received
    They're both cut-down versions of each manufacturer's rifles so use the same cocking method (bolt or sidelever) and magazines. FX has dropped the Ranchero as it was too expensive to sell well enough.

Jonathan

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    [QUOTE=Achitophel;4664514]Thanks all for the hints - looks like PCP is the way to go then.

any thoughts? QUOTE]

My immediate thought is that it isn't multi-shot or semi-auto.
    If you're now considering single shot PCP then there's a lot of good stuff out there
    ATB,
    Nick

Thanks again all for all the very helpful and speedy replies. Nope - I still do want a multishot, but having read what felt like a thousand ads, forgot to check that the P34 had multishot - d'oh

Anyway, Steyr LP5 looks like it might do the trick. Have had a look at

/GunsForSale/101103203717439

which seems to be OK. Any comments on pricing - there doesn't seem to be much comparable evidence on what these go for..(oh, to have 's completed listing function )

Magicniner / Nick - I can see from your sig that you have a Drulov DU-10, which also seems to meet all my requirements - any reason you wouldn't recommend it for what I want?

A Crosman 38 T or C might tick your boxes. I have both and they are great. I think they would scratch your brocock itch. They are only rapid fire until you reload, mind, but you soon get the knack.

http://www.cinedux.com/airgun-articles-c.php

Surprised no-one has mentioned a crosman 600 yet.

For pure plinking some of the new BB pistols look pretty good, and as they are over 1 ft lb you don't have to be a re-enactor. I got the dan wesson revolver on a whim and its fun. Its a bit like eating a pot noodle , you know its wrong, but you still want it. I'm a bit opposed to them all myself, because I fear its only a matter of time before someone says they are exploiting a loophole in the VCRA and we get yet another ban, making life difficult for all air pistols. But, anyway, they exist and you might consider them.
    Morally flawed

All three of those Crosmans are great fun and the 600 is really special but they are all second hand.
    On the plus side you could have all three and change from a Steyr!

Achi- having looked at your CP99 post and remarks about shattered tins you definitely need a Crosman 600
    10 .22 pellets fired in seconds- mangled cans are us.
    If you fancy one Lawrie Amatruda on here is the man to talk to.

Magicniner / Nick - I can see from your sig that you have a Drulov DU-10, which also seems to meet all my requirements - any reason you wouldn't recommend it for what I want?
    Only that it sounded like you'd ruled out CO2

The DU-10 is great - I'm pellet testing at the moment and I've found a pack of domed with which it will reliably feed 6
    I just need to crawl under the bench & find the lid to see what they are & run tests with a few more to see if any of my current stock will give the same performance,
    Regards,
    Nick

Domed pellets in a DU10 Nick. Shirley you are taking a risk?