Thread: Series 1 Airsporter stock break - advice sought on how best to approach

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Series 1 Airsporter stock break - advice sought on how best to approach

Pics are of a series 1 airsporter .22 G12447
    Stock has a break right the way through on l/h/s as shown. It has been glued with superglue previously. The two parts are not sitting very flush together, and there is a gap as can be seen, although repair itself appears quite strong. Rifle itself is shooting beautifully, and it has its original slightly nibbled plug thing.
    In two minds about what to do with it. Should I sand it flush and fill? Thinking about mixing some epoxy resin with wood dust from the stock. Would I be better breaking it and trying to pva or dowel it?

Any opinions or guidance would be much appreciated - cheers Paul

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...rt/airsporter/
    Last edited by watchsapart; 06-12-2010 at 10:30 PM.

hi

i cant open your picture link to see the break??
    but if its a strong fix and not moving i would fill the crack with a two pack wood filler
    sand it and re finish the whole stock
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

pics should be working now - p

Yikes, a nasty break!

I don't feel qualified to advise, but I think I'd want it fitting together closer than that.

On the finishing side, tru oil and 400 grit paper works up a nice 'wood dust mulsh' that should finish the repair nicely.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 07-12-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: correction

Hurts to see a bodge, when if properly repaired the crack would be all but invisible. Using wood glue and proper clamping, no superglue kerrapp.

You test-clamp (may be tricky) then glue. The more glue that oozes out the better, the gap / crack ideally is brought down to zero, if the clamping allows. Won't be as strong as before the break, but STRONGER - it won't break from there again.

Unfortunately the superglue needs to be removed without removing any of the wood - against instinct, you really don't want any space for the wood glue.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    Pics are of a series 1 airsporter .22 G12447
    Stock has a break right the way through on l/h/s as shown. It has been glued with superglue previously. The two parts are not sitting very flush together, and there is a gap as can be seen, although repair itself appears quite strong. Rifle itself is shooting beautifully, and it has its original slightly nibbled plug thing.
    In two minds about what to do with it. Should I sand it flush and fill? Thinking about mixing some epoxy resin with wood dust from the stock. Would I be better breaking it and trying to pva or dowel it?

Any opinions or guidance would be much appreciated - cheers Paul

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...rt/airsporter/
    If you look through this thread, you'll see that we have recently dicussed the repair of these stocks in some detail.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Have had a go at separating it, and unfortunately the superglue is hellish strong.
    I think I will have to fill the gap with 2 pack woodfiller or something like, mixed with wood dust. Best of a bad job I guess

Stock repair

i have a stock with a similar break my first attempt didnt match very well and it came apart without much pulling I have cleaned the two parts and reglued using waterproof pva,but because the break has little overlap I am not going to trust the repair so I am going to put a couple of dowels in at an angle,another one I am working on has the classic break and I havs glued it and I am confident about that holding.The finish so far is about ten coats of Danish oil put on with a rag,I am going to try with the wet and dry as the other correspondant advised I will sort some photos out in a bit.

M
    click the link but I have to warn you there are about 40 photos!!!! I know I will have to get out more.!!1
    http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrasea...eat=directlink
    Last edited by merlin5oaks; 08-12-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added photo link

That's a nasty one

If it was mine i think i would sand both parts flat on my 4"belt sander then drill a hole in each side in the centre and make a dowel to fit, keep sanding on the machine and dry fitting until the two parts fit with no gap then glue up the dowel and mating faces, assemble and cramp it shut for 24 hours, it could then be stripped of it's original finish, and sanded until there is no step and then laquered (or oiled for that matter..)

Good luck with the repair

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/