Thread: Smooth brown patina

Smooth brown patina

Hi All,
    A couple of guns in my small collection have this finish. Iunderstand that is rust. Has any one removed it,if so with what and what surface finish is under this rust.Is it worth removing????????????????????
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi All,
    A couple of guns in my small collection have this finish. Iunderstand that is rust. Has any one removed it,if so with what and what surface finish is under this rust.Is it worth removing????????????????????
    Regards
    Daveh
    Generally you will find only bare metal under patina and unless you're planning on a reblue you'd be best to leave it as is. From what I've seen, patina is quite resilient, presumably because it's basically a natural form of 'controlled rusting', similar to blueing or blacking?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

As he said /\

At least it is a useful receptacle for oil thus preventing further corrosion.

Also bear in mind that on an older gun the original finish even if half (or more) brown is preferable to an unnatural looking just-reblued one.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    As he said /\

At least it is a useful receptacle for oil thus preventing further corrosion.

Also bear in mind that on an older gun the original finish even if half (or more) brown is preferable to an unnatural looking just-reblued one.
    Completely agree! I have several old airguns with what is now a browned finish and wouldn't want them cleaning up. For me, it adds to the nostalgia of them.
    CZ 200T/200 S Hunter/200 S Green/Slavia ZVP/612/614/615/618/620/622/624/625/627/630/631/634/ZVS Perun 734/CZ236-1/Tex3/86/Brno ZII/ZV3/ZV4/VZ47/APP661/Relum/Mars 618/Stella 518/Predom 188/170/Yunker 1/2/Lov21/Baikal IJ22/IJ38/Vostok/IZH61/IZH53M/MP512M/MP654K/MP661K

edbear2 Guest
    If you rub it gently with a cloth soaked in white balsamic vinegar, it comes off leaving the original factory finish, complete with photo etching etc...Honest.......

I heard that too ed but I was told white balsamic vinegar whilst you are facing magnetic north in the presence of 7 virgins
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Quote Originally Posted by martini1215 View Post
    I heard that too ed but I was told white balsamic vinegar whilst you are facing magnetic north in the presence of 7 virgins
    don't forget that you also have to be wearing a black sock and a grey sock and have a pregnant dormouse in your left pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by daystateshooter View Post
    don't forget that you also have to be wearing a black sock and a grey sock and have a pregnant dormouse in your left pocket.
    Apparently, in addition to the above it only works for those over 80 years of age, when they are accompanied by both their parents

Some brains around here, it would seem, have "patina"
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

edbear2 Guest

Brown Patina

I was all ready to try Eds vinegar but could not find 7 virgins.Thanks for the laughs!
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!