Thread: 1938 BSA Light Pattern valuation please

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

1938 BSA Light Pattern valuation please

Sadly will have to think about moving this on the Light Pattern as have been offered a webley mk1 pistol that I should like, but cant throw any more (new!) money at guns.
    Serial number L38162. With a nice patina on it. Cocks and fires fine. Good fun to shoot. Cocking lever unclicks from where it clicks on the barrel when the rifle is fired. Never been an issue for me as I hold it round the underlever when fired. I suspect it may need a stronger spring in the catch, but not sure. I can see few tiny flecks of emulsion on the stock, would come off.
    Thoughts on price would be much appreciated. Paul

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ght%20pattern/

Hi Paul,

Interesting late example. Is there any photo etching visible on top of the cylinder? If there is, it will increase the value. Interesting to see a 1 hole trigger block, which replaced the 3 hole earlier version and a flat topped breech, near the loading hole. Both these features are associated with the A Series, which followed on from yours and I have seen another similar L prefixed BSA in the 38000 range, so yours is perfectly correct. As to value, on the assumption no etching is visible, around £160.

Kind regards,
    John

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central
    Many thanks John, mine has no etching apparent. Cheers Paul