Thread: Value BSA Stutzen 177 taploader

Value BSA Stutzen 177 taploader

Ballpark please, realistic. Gun stock is dinged, not majorly, or too bad to leave as is, but in no way mint. Blueing 85%.

Tap loader, .177 and looks like it is just pre-RB2 - everything else is identical except the loading method.

I don't have the serial, as I'm buying not selling.

Thanks ;-)
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Hi,

I bought my .177 about 2 years ago and paid £225.00 it was in almost mint condition..However before that I bought a much knocked about .22 for £90.00 and restored to near new condition even down to a BSA Re-Blue and Service at the Factory..Last year I saw one for Sale at Bisley for £375.00 ...This might give you a rough idea...

Regard's

Inproved

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Have in the last month bought a very good condition .22 RB-2 Stutzen in .22 for £260 (having sold the one I had in .177 for £250 a year or so back when skint and out of work), and see the price of a slightly lesser condition tap loader Stutzen in .177 being about 200?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Blue Book would have it as up to about £200 in that condition, though I think that may be a little OTT for the UK market if the bluing isn't great.

Hi,

I would agree £200.00 or less,Is the right way to go..Remember BSA only made these for a year,they were the follow on from the Centenary Rifle...I think that the RB1 or Tap Loader is better than the RB2..It's linage goes back to the Inception of Lincoln Jefferies ...

Regard's

Inproved...

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi,
    I think that the RB1 or Tap Loader is better than the RB2..It's linage goes back to the Inception of Lincoln Jefferies ...

Regard's

Inproved...
    Not from a shooting perspective it certainly doesn't, as although I am a collector, performance is a most vital consideration for me, as in comparison to the RB-2, all Airsporter tap loader variants (with the possible exception of the Mk.I & Mk.II), inc. the BSA Centenary, are pants.

Also, are you sure the term RB-1 (Rotary Breech) refers to the tap loading system, as I thought it referred to the rotary breech system developed by BSA in the first decade of the last Century that was shelved after R&D, in favour of keeping the tap loader for reasons of continuity?

Further, I thought the aforementioned 'shelved' rotary breech system was the inspiration behind the more refined RB-2 system of the last decade of the last Century? Always happy to be proved wrong however, as that is one way in which we can learn, and as I’ve said in here before, every day is a school day.

Thoughts please . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks guys, so around 200 is not too bad. Considering the .177s were appartently only made for a year, seems a bit of a sleeper.

I have an RB2 bought new last year (yes really) in .22 so a taploader in .177 will make a nice pair.

Well, we'll see - it's an auction
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Hi Gareth,

You do have a point went out and Bought a BSA AIR RIFLE 2nd Batch Serial Number 4303 considering it's age 1906 it's in very good condition around 80% Blue 20% Browning..I to think that the last good Airsporter was the Mark2..The RB1 thing came from an a seeming authority on BSA's...So you are probably right...

Regard's

Inproved...Steve...

Someone offered me one via PM, but I deleted this by mistake and really forgot everything. If you could re-pm...

I'm about to conclude and would appreciate an option, thanks.

.177 stutzen

I have seen few .177 Stutzens in either tap or Rb2 , when compared to .22 .

With regards prodction dates , I am open to correction but I was under the impression that the tap load Stutzen started life after the Centenary but continued on for the next 6 or so years before the RB2 style of pellet port was introduced in the early 90's , across the BSA range - specifically on the Airsporter and Stutzen Airsporter line [ Mk11 aka the 'RB2 Stutzen' ].
    Can anyone enlighten me as to the aforementioned ' for 1 year only ' ?

in addendum

Just reread the above posts top down again . Are we talking all Stutzen or just .177 cal Stutzens for a years only production ?
    Last edited by Arch.Stanton?; 14-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

The info I have is that only the .177 taploader was made for just one year, iirc '85-'86.

Based on the guides here and elsewhere relating to serial number prefixes and what others have quoted.

Hi,

BSA's build record's state ET .177.Stutzen 1985-1986...GR .22. Stutzen 1985-1986..

Regard's

Inproved..