Thread: Haenel model 28 info

Haenel model 28 info

I have in my collection what looks like a Haenel 28 pistol with the following stamped on air chamber HAENEL AIR PISTOL . PATENT. No 277265 no model number stamped anywhere.
    Also the medallion differs from the normal, its plainer looking.
    Serial no of pistol is 4306.

Yes, and? The patent and serial number sound OK (mine are 2909 and 1726) and the Haenel brass medallion on my two (one is an R) are plain, Haenel in caps, italic in a circle. Sooooo, what info do you need?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Are the one's without the model number the original first production models and the other type with model number and different medallion possibly post war examples rather than pre-war ?.

Sabre

I am pretty sure they stopped producing it around 1935, the later models had the 28 stamped on them, from serial number circa 10,000 (I think).
    Is yours smooth or rifled? An asterix after the calibre means rifled, if it is smooth and you want to sell it I'm your man!
    lodmoor

Mine's rifled i'm afraid .I also have a EMGE Zenit .177 rifled i brought a while ago thats a cracking little pistol.

Sabre

Smile

I have 3,The first is
    Serial no 4818 rifled barrel with no asterix after its caliber,stamped mod28 pat 277265. [not stamped DRP]

2nd no 8418 rifled barrel with asterix after its caliber,stamped mod28 pat 277265 DRP

3rd no 12559 rifled barrel with asterix after its caliber,Stamped mod28 pat 277265 DRP

All the medallions are the same.

They must have changed medallion between serial no 4306 and 4818 then.

Sabre

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    The Haenel 28 was made up to 1940, into the early war years. After the end of the war the Haenel company was shut down by the Russians and some of the airgun product range was reintroduced by the State controlled company Ernst Thalmann Werk (ETW) Suhl (which occupied the old Haenel site). Using the old machinery a few Haenel 28's were made up to 1952 - these were never exported to the west and must be extremely rare.

Fascinating! Where did your info come from and have you ever seen any of the Russian (East German) Haenels?
    lodmoor

Details of the ETW post-War manufacture of the Haenel 28 can be found in the excellent book written by Ernst Dieter ("Luftgewehre und Luftpistolen) (Air rifles and air pistols), which covers post-War airgun manufacture activity in East Germany. (Unfortunately it is only available in German). Also I received additional first hand information from German collectors. I have never seen one of these late models. It is also not well known that the Tell 3 was made after the war in small numbers by the state controlled company Reinhold Manteuffel. One of these would be an incredible find.
    This info' can be found in the "The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols", unfortunately currently out of print.

Interesting according to an article on the site i have just found www.vintageairgun.com
    the pistols with the plainer type brass disk's and no model number on top of the air chamber are Model 27 not 28.

This is a common misconception, but the reality is that the Haenel 27 was only made in 1927 before it was upgraded to the 28, and it is so rare that it has almost mythological status. In fact, at the present time no actual example has ever been reported, and the only way we know of its existence is from a few German catalogue entries from 1927. It is quite a bit different from the Haenel 28 in appearance, although it has the same basic design.

The gun that is being discussed on this thread (the "Haenel Air Pistol") which doesn't specifically say "Haenel 28" on the cylinder and which may or may not have the smooth grip emblems is just a differently marked Haenel 28.

Anyone who does find a genuine Haenel 27 will be making airgun history (and a small fortune).

haenel 28

hi my haenel 28 is a early won it only has pat 277265 & serial no 4236 and the action catch under the air chamber is strait pin and not the curved won found on the won marked mod 28 .kind regards mark

Looks as though they probably made at least in the 4300's of the early type looking at the serial numbers on the previous posts, and changed the the design slightly possibly to cut down on production costs.
    Last edited by sabre; 14-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.

i, I know that this is an old post, but does anyone know where I can get spares for a 28? I need the little curly spring that lives in the grip and hlds the cocking lever at the rear in place.

Thanks in advance, hopefully!

Duncan
    Various Rifles......