Thread: Anyone shoot metallic silhouettes with air pistol ?

Anyone shoot metallic silhouettes with air pistol ?

Looking at using my Morini 162 for the next comp, and can't decide between a red dot or 2.5 x scope, both with custom mount so it doesn't bugger up the pistol.

Any suggestions please folks ?

Quote Originally Posted by KScott_NZ View Post
    Looking at using my Morini 162 for the next comp, and can't decide between a red dot or 2.5 x scope, both with custom mount so it doesn't bugger up the pistol.

Yes, we shoot metal shoot knock-over type targets every month at Kibworth. Members use a variety of different sights, which include the red dot and the scope you mentioned.

I have used (and still own) both those types of pistol sight, but I changed to a holographic sight for a couple of reasons.

1). Scopes magnify the shake quite a bit and to be honest we set most metal animal tragets out at no further than 25 so a scope was not completely necessary.

2). Simple Red Dot sights are parallax sensitive and offer no aids for hold-over/under for the different ranges.

I found the holographic style sight, which provides 4 different reticule types offers (for me) the best of all worlds. they are NOT parallax sensitive at all, so if the sight is on the target, that is where the pellet is going to hit. By using the little dot surrounded by a cross, it gives different aiming marks for hold-over/under. It is light and the target/sight picture is easily acquired. I now require spectacles and with this type of sight I can get a clearer sight picture than I get with iron sights.

Hope this is helpful
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Thanks.

I'm shooting sils at 18 - 24x anyway so not worried too much about the wobble plus I use the Morini for 10m ISSF style, so am confident on where my trigger pull can be within the wobble circle. And being on the slow (but fun) downhill ride of my life, I know I'm always going to wobble !

Yes,

We have a full set at Lincs HFT.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...ks018Large.jpg

They are at the pistol distances though. Around 10 to 18 yards I think.

I use my open sights on my LP10E and I have a LP50 with a red dot for when I fancy a change.

They are great fun to shoot at and make you think about the aim point a bit more than the 10m paper ones.

HTH

Mark

Yup, that's why I like shooting 'em

10, 12.5, 15, 18 yards with a low power pistol, outdoors make for a real challenge and fun.

Our last shoot pix are here (with obligatory video being uploaded to YouTube as we speak) , but I'm just toying up between a red dot or scope for the next comp.
    Last edited by KScott_NZ; 17-04-2011 at 11:46 PM.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by BobSki View Post
    Yes, we shoot metal shoot knock-over type targets every month at Kibworth. Members use a variety of different sights, which include the red dot and the scope you mentioned.

I have used (and still own) both those types of pistol sight, but I changed to a holographic sight for a couple of reasons.

1). Scopes magnify the shake quite a bit and to be honest we set most metal animal tragets out at no further than 25 so a scope was not completely necessary.

2). Simple Red Dot sights are parallax sensitive and offer no aids for hold-over/under for the different ranges.

I found the holographic style sight, which provides 4 different reticule types offers (for me) the best of all worlds. they are NOT parallax sensitive at all, so if the sight is on the target, that is where the pellet is going to hit. By using the little dot surrounded by a cross, it gives different aiming marks for hold-over/under. It is light and the target/sight picture is easily acquired. I now require spectacles and with this type of sight I can get a clearer sight picture than I get with iron sights.

Hope this is helpful
    Bob
    OOH,
    Silhouette, I might be forced to make a trip down for that!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

AP Silhouette Sight Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by KScott_NZ View Post

I used to have a 18 yard back garden and loved metallic silhouette shooting.

I've used open, red dots, pistol and rifle scopes.

I'd suggest you buy the best holographic (tv type) red dot to can afford. This usually means a smaller and brighter dot for your bucks.

AP Silhouette are my favourite targets but alas my new house has a 8 ft garden!

Have fun.

Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    OOH,
    Silhouette, I might be forced to make a trip down for that!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Hi Nick,
    Yes mate, 3rd Saurday of every month between March and Sept. We do a pistol shoot which involves:
    25 x knock-over targets, - 1 shot at each, 2 points for a kill, 1 ppoint for a plate, nothing for the scenery
    2 target cards one single and one double handed free standing
    and 2 or more rounds of metal plate speed shooting.

Total cost for all this is only £4:00. and for anyone who does not have their own multi-shot CO2 pistol, I have acquired a brand new 4" S&W for which we supply the gas and if necessary, the pellets too.

All the above is followed by a visit to the cafe where you can partake of good food and drink. In fact, if you get there early enough (around 09:00hrs) you can even start the day with a lovely full English Breakast for only £5:50.

It would be great to see you again.
    all the best
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Bob,
    I'll definitely make it down this summer for a bit of HFT, by Silhouette I think the OP was referring to this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalli...uette_shooting

You've got to admit, it looks entertaining & challenging
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Bob,
    I'll definitely make it down this summer for a bit of HFT, by Silhouette I think the OP was referring to this -

ATB,
    Nick
    You may think shooting at the same four targets and a known range is easy or boring.

I've plinked and shot at spinners, animal knock downs, 10 metre paper, etc and there's nothing as satisfying as seeing you hit a little chicken and watch it fly in the air!

You look at the chicken.... there's not much metal to see at 10 metres! Give it a go ..

I wish there was a larger AP following in the UK with indoor clubs in halls, etc like in the States.

Cheers
    Ian

ps I'd like to know if there are any Forums with AP Silhouette content.
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

Yeah I meant sils shooting, we shoot outdoors both pistol and rifle.

Our limited air pistol sils forum content is over at www.nzairgunners.com with threads here, here, and here - although those threads are more air rifle, including the air rifle Pan Pacific Champs.

I think I'm swaying towards a red dot.

We used to do it at Guiseley back in the 90s. Great fun. We did it hardcore though. 10, 15, 18 and 22.5 yards, ie half the distances for air rifle... not namby pamby 10, 12.5, 15, 18!!

Rifle sillies are big in NEFTA, in the winter league and the Classic but I wish more pistol action went on oop north!

Bob,

ATB,
    Nick

oops trust me!
    oh well silhouette is a silouhette eh!
    I must admit, the "other" type of shooting the OP really meant does look rather entertaining.

It'll be good to see you again Nick,
    All the best
    Bob