Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing to Bare Steel

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Polishing to Bare Steel

Can anyone think of a better way to promote corrosion on a pistol?
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Garry is online now I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I've got a couple of Webleys polished back to bare steel, but their original state needed it to be done. I keep them cleaned with oil after use to prevent any rust etc.

I take it you've seen something that needs some tlc?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Not really,
    I just wonder why this might be done to a gun that didn't need reblueing and why not have it reblued?
    Steel rusts, that's why blueing was developed
    ATB,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Soak the gun in water then leave it outside

Yusuf

So it's a crap idea unless you oil your hands, have an oily rag in every pocket, drawer and cupboard and don't take the gun out?

Nick

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Or just take care of it properly, knowing that they will need a little more care than one with blueing, the price you pay for something looking a bit special/different... and all is fine?
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

According to Weihrauch this HW45 of mine was shipped 'in the white'. Never had any rust issues.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0120088661.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    According to Weihrauch this HW45 of mine was shipped 'in the white'. Never had any rust issues.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0120088661.jpg
    HW45s are Aluminium Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Or just take care of it properly, knowing that they will need a little more care than one with blueing, the price you pay for something looking a bit special/different... and all is fine?
    Pay more for something missing?
    You'd have to be a serious chump for that!
    This polished steel cock has been prevalent in airguns where have-a-go-heroes without the facility for blueing or plating complete the first stage in metal finishing, oil it & fob it off on some sucker
    It's not even an acceptable finish for a metal shed, why would you think it was a clever option for a gun, never mind pay for it
    ATB,
    Nick

If this was a good idea all new guns would be bare steel as it's cheaper for the manufacturer, funny it's unpopular as an OEM finish then!

Regards,
    Nick
    Sure I can, Make it damp and cover it with road or table salt for a while, then store it in a warm damp atmosphere.
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

hi nick,this is a subject that i have given a little thought to over the years,as a knife maker i have found that polishing carbon steel to a semi matt finish promotes rust unless kept heavily oiled.polishing to a mirror finish ,not just shiny but flawless so i can see my ugly mug in it,keeps as rust free as "blued steel".by this i mean blued steel as the matt llooking flat finish seen on many modern guns.this is not the superb blueing as seen on brum webleys or a bespoke hot caustic finish..i reworked an xs78 a couple of years ago ,mirror polished the breech and a few other bits left the rest in oriental blue .keep it in my workshop for sorting the odd magpie and squirrel,wipe it with an oily rag now and then ,so far its rust free...now browning ,thats a finsh ,goes a bit rusty due to neglect,rub it with with wire wool ,oil it its as good as good as new,cheers ,,greasemonkey...ps now started using swedish RWL 34 for my blades.dogs danglies ,stainless but sharp enough to shave with,just finished a bowie ,15/1/2" blade 20" overal,59 rockwell,nickel silver guard and pommel,stag handle ,cant bear to sell it.....
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Pay more for something missing?
    You'd have to be a serious chump for that!
    This polished steel cock has been prevalent in airguns where have-a-go-heroes without the facility for blueing or plating complete the first stage in metal finishing, oil it & fob it off on some sucker
    It's not even an acceptable finish for a metal shed, why would you think it was a clever option for a gun, never mind pay for it
    ATB,
    Nick

If this was a good idea all new guns would be bare steel as it's cheaper for the manufacturer, funny it's unpopular as an OEM finish then!
    Each to their own, some like the finish. i'm sure some will find your comments offensive to the regard in their skill in metal work. As you will know from reading and commenting on my for sale ad, the work to mine was indeed carried out by a skilled person. as commented i have had mine for over 2 years and used it in the field and not had the slightest problem. As to the incinuations of being a chump/sucker for doing so, either someone has either p***ed in your frosties this morning, or you are one of those, my way is the only way types with a no tolerance attitude for others. If you cared to even enquire into my chump/sucker status you will more than likely find me a pleasant approachable type who just wished to have their rifle a little different from the norm and is more thank likely more qualified in many respects be it educational/weapons familiarity than others.

ATB

Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

What I'm getting at is that decorative bright polished finishes for steel exist, just polishing the bare steel is cheap, but it's also lazy and not something to be all smug about, decorative chrome or nickel on the other hand (with the requisite substrates for prevention of corrosion) are to be admired, on the other hand it takes more than a buffer and a set of screwdrivers to achieve

just as an aside ,if you take your beautifully polished pride and joy to a good platers ,you can have a nickel finish which is durable ,rust free and very very pretty.not much good at blending in with your surrounding if you are shooting for the table.but shiny and durable if looked after and will last longer than you..i have a couple of obsolete cal revolvers that are still desirable at 1oo yrs old..cheers greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

There will then obviously be some profesional manufacturers producing bare steel guns for oily cloth fetishists, or not
    I'm guessing NOT