Thread: Is there room for CO2 in target/competition pistol shooting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Hi

Putting in bluntly - no.

Let me put this into context. I know there will be an army of ardent CO2 supporters on in a minute saying 'well the world record was held with a co2 pistol for x amount of years...' which may be true...true that is until PCP took over.

I have attended a few (!) competitions over the past few years and I will tell you how many co2 pistols I have seen being used - two. The main reason for this - cost and convenience - it is a pain in the bum coming off the range to change your co2 half way through a match, there being no objective method of checking how much 'air' you have in the capsule. I played around with a tau 7 a few months ago - lovely gun, deadly accurate but your only getting 60-70 shots out of the capsule - 60 shot match + sighters, your pushing the limits already.

If you are in the market for a pistol, then you have two choices - wait until something comes up or bite the bullet and get something half decent - by half decent I am not talking about the Rohms - trust me, I am not a big fan and I have my reasons.

Surrey guns have two fas604's for sale - they will do very nicely for a beginner, and in the right hands will shoot perfectly well.

Lee
    My Walther does 350+ shots on a fill. Is that enough for your 60 shot match?

3kg of CO2 cost me £80 including the cylinder; a 3kg refill is £10. The cylinder lives at home so I don't need to drive to a dive shop and pay silly money for air.

As for accuracy, MAYBE Mick Gault could tell the difference & then maybe he couldn't.

The rest of us would have no idea.

Anyone out there got a rubbish CO2 Steyr they want rid of, so they can keep up with the Joneses? I'm serious if the price is right.
    Last edited by derekm; 09-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.