Thread: Detuned HW45?

Detuned HW45?

I have often wondered why there has never been an attempt (to my limited knowledge)to reduce the power on an HW45?

I know the fact that they´re full power has been an attraction, but surely most people use them for plinking, and don't try to take game with them.

Given their weight, and build quality, wouldn't there be a case for them having a slightly weaker spring so that they could be a little easier to shoot at inanimate targets.

Are there any instances of people detuning them to get better perfomance? If not, is that because they don't work well at reduced velocities, or because those who buy them insist on full power?

Are the 22 versions more forgiving than the 177?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

They are all duel power now - so if you stop the cocking mechanism halfway then you get lower power and less recoil.

I have 4 of these and I rarely use half power as I like to practice both mastering the recoil and shooting at 20 - 25 yards. With practice they are capable of excellent performand on full power.

Of the callibres available I prefer .22 as it feels smoother. I am currently looking into the possibility of converting one of mine to .25.....

Thank you.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I have often wondered why there has never been an attempt (to my limited knowledge)to reduce the power on an HW45?

I know the fact that they´re full power has been an attraction, but surely most people use them for plinking, and don't try to take game with them.

Given their weight, and build quality, wouldn't there be a case for them having a slightly weaker spring so that they could be a little easier to shoot at inanimate targets.

Are there any instances of people detuning them to get better perfomance? If not, is that because they don't work well at reduced velocities, or because those who buy them insist on full power?

Are the 22 versions more forgiving than the 177?
    What, and spoil all the fun? It's a good feeling to be able to do well with an HW45. I have a 0.22 and would have to say that now I'm used to it, it's very smooth.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
    I am currently looking into the possibility of converting one of mine to .25.....
    Ian,
    Have you considered converting one to .25 and one to .20 and thus having one in each flavour?

ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Ian,
    Have you considered converting one to .25 and one to .20 and thus having one in each flavour?

ATB,
    Nick
    That is very nearly my master plan Nick. My ultimate goal is to have a Black Star in each of the 4 callibers - I just love the HW75 style grip so much. This will take time. Step 1 is to convert one of my standard HW's to .25 to see if this is any good - if it is then I will transfer the barrel to a Black Star. As for the .177 and .20 Black Stars, they are available as options so no adaptation needed. This will all take some time though as I have a number of things higher up the priority list - by the time I get round to it there should be some Black Stars on the market 2nd hand.......

A question for Ian, where did you get your black star from ?

I've asked my local gunshop to order me one but with no luck. Are they an "official" import ?

Cheers

Mike

I bought mine from Solware though I believe that they are available from other dealers

They are being imported in small numbers at the moment so demand exceeds supply - I was lucky when I boughth mine as it appeared to be the only available .22 in the UK at the time!

Its well worth the effort re tracking one down though - they are excellent pistols

Like the look of the black star. I have a silver star in .22 and a regular 45 also in .22, recon I should get a .177 to go with the 75. Just got to think of a way to tell the wife.