Thread: FAC renewal time, oh joy

FAC renewal time, oh joy

Bit of a awkward time when renewal comes around. As one does I used the boxes to ask for a couple more guns on my ticket. FEO came to visit today, um can I put down another while you are here says I, um I'd like another .44 revolver but can I have a second with same caliber and action? Not normally allowed unless there is a difference to shoot a different discipline such as peep sight or iron sight or night vision equiped so why you want the same? Well I have one that is post civil war, Roger and Spencer and I want one that is pre civil war so my reason is historical interest. Ok no prob says he.
    That and a 36 then as well will do me to play with for a while.

Damn, this renewal is going to be expensive thinks I. RFD at my club says hes got a 36 with indexing problem I can have £15 to cover the paperwork and its mine, oh luverly, dare I ask if hes got a 44 in his junk box?

I'll update this post when I have the £15 .36 in my mit and have tested it.

My FEO got my application this morning and was visiting me in a matter of a couple of hours, thanks Sam. Now the wait while Sussex process my renewal, apparently 42 days, bummer
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

42 days - you lucky man.
    Gloucestershire took 16 weeks for a renewal earlier this year and then 6 weeks for a 1-for-1 variation!
    Steve

42 DAYS ??

I and 3 others at the club have just waited 3 months on 1 for 1's in Sussex

It was 8 weeks earlier in the year but its getting longer
    12 weeks / 3 months plus for any application now I was told.

Just about to put it back in for a .44 and .45 revolver
    44 ( Uberti )as historic competitive target shooting 25yrd and 45 ( Ruger ) as precision competitive target shooting at 80yrd

These will be my first Muzzle loading revolvers so hope to get the two put on the ticket.

Mines a renewal so middle of October I will be demanding emergency permit as my FAC has run out and I want to be seen to comply with the law.

You see I dont mind telling them if I am in posession of firearms without an FAC just to see what they have to say about it.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I bet it will sail right through!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Clubs RFD has said yep hes got a 44 as well for £15, mine thanks. Used to be "club gun" so a bit bashed about but still usable. RFD considers muzzle loaded revolvers as a throw-away after not much use, although my Rogers has given me good use for 5 years and going strong.

Am I bothered about buying revolvers so cheap? Well no, the only reason I can see for scrapping them is if the nipple threads are stripped in the cylinder or serious rust damage to the rifling.

Theres a few quick checks I make which might help new buyers.

First pop the cylinder out, look at the spindle to make sure its not been bent and straightened and that the ram is not all floppy or damaged.

Have a good look at the nipple threads in the cylinder, if they are bad then a new cylinder is likely to cost far more than a second hand gun so you best walk away from it.

A bit of light rust in the mouths of the cylinder bores is common. Repeated pushing in of the balls wears any bluing off in no time and a little rust is no big deal. Its handy if you can try a standard ball for fit before you buy, some guns I've seen have been cleaned up with emery paper making the bores oversize and useless.

Pull the hammer back slowly, at half cock the cylinder lock should be down, feel for engagement of the sear. Pull the trigger slowly and the hammer should move back a tad before it releases (its safe to pull the trigger with the cylinder out so its not going to damage the nipples), if not it shows its probably been tweaked. Many of us tweak the hammer and sear for lighter release but it can be taken too far and a new hammer would be expensive.

Look down the barrel for rust, if its been dry stored rust is very likely. I like to "slug" a barrel, that is to push a standard ball down it, to see that it cuts nice rifling grooves in it. The slug should then be a real loose fit in the cylinder.

Put the cylinder back in and pull the hammer back slow, at half cock the cylinder should be free to revolve and it should not be possible to pull the trigger. At full cock the lock should engage the groove in the cylinder.