Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webley Air Pistols by Gordon Bruce

Mine too. Like an early Christmas present.

yes ,excellent book.got mine last week ,do not think i have ever come across any gun book with so much attention to details..whoever the kind soul was who outbid me a while back on fleabay for one at just under three figures thanks, i am forever in your debt,cheers..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

The book

Hah, we'll all be instant experts now! Excellent tome.

Amazing price yet again

Considering the quality of the book, the initial price of this third edition is amazing, especially with those astonishing sums of about a year ago on 'that site' in mind. Even as a non-islander, paying 25 % additional on shipping, I am very pleased. However...

I had quiet hopes that perhaps an additional reference would have been made about the last 10 years since the first edition came out.
    I also still have to wonder why Webley designated such a (poor) sear arrangement to their top model for 3 decades...
    So, the best book on this subject? No doubt! The definitive book? Not yet.

Mine arrived this afternoon by courier - what a wonderful book!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Meijer View Post
    Considering the quality of the book, the initial price of this third edition is amazing, especially with those astonishing sums of about a year ago on 'that site' in mind. Even as a non-islander, paying 25 % additional on shipping, I am very pleased. However...

I had quiet hopes that perhaps an additional reference would have been made about the last 10 years since the first edition came out.
    I also still have to wonder why Webley designated such a (poor) sear arrangement to their top model for 3 decades...
    So, the best book on this subject? No doubt! The definitive book? Not yet.
    I agree, it might have been good if an update could have been included, if Gordon Bruce was prepared to do the extra research, but, as it's a book on Webley air pistols, I don't think there's much more he could have said. As well as significantly delaying the publication date of this second reprint, this would also have significantly increased the cover price, due to extra print set up costs.
    It's the only book available that covers Webley air pistols in depth, so it has to currently be the only 'definitive' book available on the subject.

It is only understandable that the price of the book would go up with any more work done on it. And with a give-away price of 25.00 and a very, very reasonable official price of 35.00 I am sure there would be some leeway.
    But I also realise this book is a labour of love, with little money - if any - in it given the limited market, so even a price increase is likely not enough a factor to start extra work on the book once more.

The book is impressive as it is also more than just a technical narration of things pistol. For me, the background information of the firm is the icing on the cake, and is where I get most of my questions answered. But this is also where some questions remain that I would love to see addressed.
    Contrary to much of the earlier history, most involved with Webley 10 years ago are still around and can shine some light on these no doubt dramatic developements that must have taken place. Because Mr. Bruce's book is so authoritive on the subject, I regard it as the most logical vehicle to bring whatever more can be said.

Mine is not a complaint, but simply a wish 'to round things off' in the light of the demise of Webley just a few years later, even as I realise such a chapter is likely not to be published.
    This is where a forum like this could step in; after all, there must be a lot of knowledgeable people participating here with possible access to information yet to become known.

Re: the last 10 years

So, are you suggesting that a knowledgeable person writes a page or two so that us lesser waifs could print it off and keep it with our books? That would be an excellent and kind thing to do if the right person would step forward.
    But who would / will do it?
    Cheers, Phil

Phil,
    This forum consists of hundreds, if not thousands of pages with shared knowledge. So what you are wondering about is happening already, and along those lines I was thinking aloud. Regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M.Meijer View Post
    Phil,
    This forum consists of hundreds, if not thousands of pages with shared knowledge. So what you are wondering about is happening already, and along those lines I was thinking aloud. Regards, Mike
    Too true; I fully agree; there are many with the 'knowledge' and no doubt it is all there in isolated posts.

But wouldn't it be great if an expert could put it all together into a concise document that owners of the book could keep with the book for posterity?

If it exists already, can someone give a link to it? I have nothing in my files.
    Cheers, Phil

My copy just arrived today. Very pleased. I note it has no 'second printing' or 'reprinted 2011' on it, unless I have missed it. Just an observation, not a grumble.

To continue the 'Webley history' theme, I have found more information here : http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/.../w...r-turkish.html

This is not a single text but a story from 2007 with additional comments up to 2009. Interesting though.
    Cheers, Phil