Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BSA Retailer Marks On Air Rifles

Thank you for the extra info Trevor and to Hyscore100 and Leroy02 too. Good to see a couple of examples from outside of the UK, from a time that harks back to Colonialism and the setting of a red African sun. Sorry, I'm daydreaming again!

The Westons example is of great interest too as I bought a lovely Improved Model D there a couple of years ago and know of a fine Lincoln they recently sold too. Good to see they have been selling BSAs for decades. I'm guessing the number is a phone number rather than the rifle's serial number Hyscore100?

Thanks to all who have been kind enough to share their examples. I hope what I eventually put together does this very interesting subject justice.

Kind regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thank you for the extra info Trevor and to Hyscore100 and Leroy02 too. Good to see a couple of examples from outside of the UK, from a time that harks back to Colonialism and the setting of a red African sun. Sorry, I'm daydreaming again!

The Westons example is of great interest too as I bought a lovely Improved Model D there a couple of years ago and know of a fine Lincoln they recently sold too. Good to see they have been selling BSAs for decades. I'm guessing the number is a phone number rather than the rifle's serial number Hyscore100?

Thanks to all who have been kind enough to share their examples. I hope what I eventually put together does this very interesting subject justice.

Kind regards,
    John
    Yes John the number must be the old phone number, I did ask them to verify it but they could not confirm this.You are wellcome to more pics if you need them.Cheers Kev

BSA Retailer Marks On Air Rifles

HI again john &josie the BSA mentioned is eched on top of the chamber, The BSA ( piled arms ) Standard air rifle .22 bore the birmingham small arms co ltd england,sole makers. No S77569 Pat 30339-10 and is proffionally engraved
    Fereday & Sons Sailsbury,Rhodesia. not ferier sorry my mistake but thats all i know sorry, i bought it at auction and they never new its call as its only marked 2 LOAD above the tap hope this helps.john.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy02 View Post
    HI again john &josie the BSA mentioned is eched on top of the chamber, The BSA ( piled arms ) Standard air rifle .22 bore the birmingham small arms co ltd england,sole makers. No S77569 Pat 30339-10 and is proffionally engraved
    Fereday & Sons Sailsbury,Rhodesia. not ferier sorry my mistake but thats all i know sorry, i bought it at auction and they never new its call as its only marked 2 LOAD above the tap hope this helps.john.
    Thanks John - it does indeed.

Kind regards,
    John

Hi J and J,
    I have two early BSA's with retailer marks:
    A Lincoln pattern no 21211 with factory fitted (I think) peepsight which is marked Cox & Son, Southampton on the stock just behind the Pylarm trademark. The farmer I bought it from near Ashbourne, Derbyshire said his grandfather hailed from Southampton and bought it for his son.

A Light pattern no 65012 with straight hand stock which is stamped Army and Navy C.S. Ltd., London on the barrel but does not have the fancy little swirls already mentioned at each end of the stamping. Prewar referred to this rifle in post no 22.

Great thread, very interesting, thank you.

atb, John.

deaer stamps

Not a dealer stamp as such, but interesting nether the less - on G*n *t*r at the moment is a Lincoln Jeffries .177 with the stock stamped USMC - United States Marine Corps - thats got to be unusual !
    atb andy

Thanks Andy and John,

USMC? Could it be????? Can't see US Marines using them in preference to powder burners.

Kind regards,
    John

USMC Marking

Hi John,

No - nor can I, but try as I might, I can't get anything else out of "USMC" - guess there is someone on here than can enlighten us .. although when they do, it's bound to be obvious

regards andy

Traders marks

Hi John,
    Another for your collection:-
    Standard, serial S26263 sold by "Braddell & Son Belfast Gunmakers"
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi John,
    Another for your collection:-
    Standard, serial S26263 sold by "Braddell & Son Belfast Gunmakers"
    Regards
    Daveh
    Thanks Dave,
    Is the mark within a roundel? I have a record of a couple of examples of this retailer's mark so far.

For Northern Irish experts or possibly those with a knowledge of Belfast, does anyone have any record of Hunter & Sons? There is a brief mention in John Walter's Greenhill directory but I have found little else?

Kind regards,
    John

Hi John,
    Its in a slightly oval mark with "Gunmaker" across the middle.
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!