Thread: Preserving very old leather slings

Preserving very old leather slings

I have two leather slings for my Martini-Henry and was wondering what it the recommended 'preservative'. One has just arrived from the US that is in good nick considering it's >100 yrs old.

Any recommendations please? I believe that Dubbin is a no-no but am wary of all the well intended suggestions from mates.

Thanks in advance.

'Saddle Soap' would be a good starter to put some life back into dry/old leather

I have one of these original Martini Henry slings from IMA and I showed it to a knowledgable friend who works with leather. He told me it is a very good quality leather (I've forgotten the type) and if it started to dry out I should treat it with pure lanolin. As it is it's ready to use after a century in storage!
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I have two leather slings for my Martini-Henry and was wondering what it the recommended 'preservative'. One has just arrived from the US that is in good nick considering it's >100 yrs old.

Any recommendations please? I believe that Dubbin is a no-no but am wary of all the well intended suggestions from mates.

Thanks in advance.

if your wanting to make it plyable and also to preserve it you could use neatsfoot oil ,anywhere that deals with horse tack can supply it
    dont go overboard though , just a gentle application untill you see how it works
    also makes it weather proof

Hi,

Try this stuff, made for the job:

http://www.flexalan.com/product/8.aspx

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I have one of these original Martini Henry slings from IMA and I showed it to a knowledgable friend who works with leather. He told me it is a very good quality leather (I've forgotten the type) and if it started to dry out I should treat it with pure lanolin. As it is it's ready to use after a century in storage!
    Daz
    just bought some pure lanolin for bullet lube.....its mothers nipple cream

Neatsfoot

Ive always found Neatsfoot compound / oil, to work well on all types of leather, and if its good enough for the Queen, by appointment, and been around for over 200 years, there must be something to it. It also water proofs trainers very well, so if you wear this type of foot ware, when out shooting ? it will keep your feet dry, as long as apply a few coats over a period of a week or so. Another use for Neatsfoot, is for leather piston seals, although people call it Goazan oil ? But dont ask me why, And i may have got the spelling wrong on that name.

Excellent chaps. Many thanks.

Neatsfoot oil is great for leather, but it rots natural fibre threads. Not good when your boots or other kit falls apart.

preserving leather

There is nothing to beat neatsfoot oil to make old , hard leather supple again.