Thread: cadet

cadet

Hi guys, this is a bit of a long shot, but just wondering if anyone got some pics of a bsa cadet internals kicking about especially the pistonhead assembly?
    Neil

...i could do with the same...ive one in bits,the piston washer is buckled plus there seams to be a plastic type spacer bellow thats shattered...

Ive got the piston and no piston head or rod in it?

Airgunspares

I'm not sure if this helps, I came across the new website a couple of weeks back - http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...360/BSA/Cadet/ if you click on the individual components you get a more detailed image. I have a major piston in my workshop as the externals are away being blued if you need a photo, let me know... Tom.

Hi Tom, thats spot on mate thats a great help.
    Regards Neil

Cadet Piston Heaad

The piston washer is secured by a cicrcular nut with a slot cut across its face. The screw is part of the piston and sticks through the nut, so to move it you need a special tool. This is made by filing or cutting a piece out of the middle of a screwdriver blade, enough to clear the screw part. Snag is that BSA after fitting the washer assembly use a small punch or chisel to deform some of the screw threads jnto the slot in the nut - a primitive (and cheap) method of stopping it unscewing in use. Technical name for this process is "staking".
    Getting it off can be a real pig, I used a combination of Mole Grips, Hacksaw and Files on mine and ruined the nut in the process. Not a tragedy as it 5/16 BSF thread, the same as the stock bolt. I have a lathe so I made one up from a new normal nut . I had to clean up the mangled bolt thread with a small file, and finished off by running a die nut down it.
    When you do get the nut off I suggest that you note how the next assortment of metal washers,rubber washers and leather washers come apart as the drawings don't help that much. The piston washer I recently bought from Knibbs came complete with metal washer, buffer amd nut.
    Sorry if I ramble on a bit, but it's a trait of the retired.
    I hope all this helps you.
    David
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk