Thread: Hearing and Eye protection

Hearing and Eye protection

Hi,

I had my first session at my local range yesterday and the gun that made the most noise but also inspired me the most was the blackpowder musket (Thanks again Daz). Seeing as this might well be the direction my shooting takes I was wondering what ear and eye protection you guy's use?

Thanks Ben

Black powder is great fun

Just dont get as many shots away as cartridge but it keeps the days shooting costs down when taking the muzzle loaders along.

Try revolvers they are just great !!! and my favorite being an old time hand gun guy before the ban.

I use cheap foam plugs when using a musket or rifle and electronic ear muffs / defenders when using pistols
    I cant get on with the lumpy plastic of the muffs against the stock on rifles

Just me

Steve

I use electronic ear defenders when using black powder and center fire rifles

Apart from hearing protection. IMO, eye protection when shooting flintlocks or percussion guns is a must. Cap fragments from pistols or long arms can go every which way at extremely high velocity - an eyeball has no protection unless YOU put it there. Sparks from a flintlock are not just pretty to watch, they are actually white-hot shavings off the steel frizzen.

They can make some pretty impressive rubber hands these days but a working eyeball has so far eluded them.

Free choice is yours.

tac

Thanks for the information guys, does anyone use the Deben stereo electronic hearing protectors?

I use Howard Leights .... can't fault them

Roy

my ear defenders have Browning written on them, but I have no idea who made them as I have had them years. They are also slimish so they dont hit the stock