Thread: Newbie to this site!

Newbie to this site!

Hi,
    just found this site & have enjoyed reading the posts & learning a lot too.

I started airgunning @45yrs ago & in the ensuing years have dabbled with most makes of aitguns.

As an engineer it was second nature to 'tinker' & I soon made a local name as someone to bring a 'relic' to for o/haul.

I enjoyed taking 'budget' items & restoring them to their former glory.

I got very heavily involved in .22LR target shooting & gradually lost touch with airgunning involvement. I now shoot mainly .357 magnum but no longer in serious competition.

I still have most of my original guns - Galway Fieldmaster, BSA Meteor, Webley Excel, Theoben Rapid 7, Brococks, Saxby-Palmers, Diana, BSA Cadet Major & a near complete collection of Webley 'over-lever' pistols.

Although most of my full-bore shooting friends scorn airguns as toys, I often show them that the workmanship, accuracy & quality of airguns is the equal or surpasses most firearms.

Congratulations on a great & informative site!

Hi there.

I too lost contact with airguns for quite a while, but returned!

I also often feel like quite a 'newb' though I've been here a few years now.

The 'collectors' section (me included) would, I'm sure, love to see photos of your rare Fieldmaster.

Best wishes and welcome - Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 28-02-2012 at 12:29 PM.

TAC items

Thanks for the welcome Phil,

re. air cartridge guns, I did say I have been out of airgunning but not out of shooting!

My Saxby-Palmer & Brocock guns are on my FAC.

I have recently been offered a Black powder 'hammer' shotgun & have lusted after one for years. My 3 gun cabinets are bursting with various firearms & so in order to keep local firearms officers happy I am going to dispose of the Ensign rifle.
    Because I cannot sell / transfer etc. I may 'damage' it before handing to police for disposal (but I may not be able to bring myself to commit such vandalism).

I may be able to find buyers for the cartridges & pumps etc.

re. photo's - how/where do I submit them on this site?

Cliff

Hi Cliff

r.e. photos - most folks open an account with a picture hosting site such as Photobucket or Flickr, and then post a direct link to their albums, picture or pictures for others to click on and see.

I noticed earlier that you had posted on another thread about air-cartridge guns, so I did realise you were aware of the laws relating ... I then went on to edit my post above, without noticing that you had replied. Sorry about that. It now looks as if you answered a question I didn't ask! But anybody reading down this far will by now understand (I hope).

It is a shame to have to destroy the Ensign. I was offered one recently, and had to tell the unsuspecting owner the bad news

ATB - Phil

Galway FieldMaster

Hi again Phil,

I will think about the flickr bit - as a lifelong photographer I already have some pics on there but rarely use the site. But if anyone wanted pics privately they would be welcome.
    re. the 'Fieldmaster' - found this site because it is the only 'hit' I got when googling the Galway Fieldmaster. It seems that for 99.999% of people it doesn't (& never did) exist!

It was revolutionary at the time, along with the 'Theoben Gas Ram' & Saxby-Palmers 'Air Cartridges'.

I swore I would own an example of all 3 (very high priced at the time) & after much soul searching, I eventually ordered the Fieldmaster. It has the most confortable stock of any rifle I have handled but the trigger is rubbish. So it has only had @ 100 pellets through it. I always meant to get around to altering the trigger but always had other projects. Now it looks like I will be handing most of my collection to a local RFD as I need to tidy my 'den'. (wifes orders).

But the memories cannot be lost & I will retain my Theoben Rapid 7 (never did get a gas-ram) & Webley Excel!

Keep shooting :-)