Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: muzzle-loading kit

Best not to use steel, some will say spark risk. Brass or an old knitting needle (alluminium) is good.

Something missed on the kit list is a pricker to clear a blocked nipple.
    I wouldn't mind betting weve all had the thing go pop instead of bang, annoying but a fresh cap and it usually goes, there are times when you had 5 in a row just go pop and you think how do I get it to fire. Maybe a contaminated grain the other side of the nipple, so I use a fine needle and churn it up a bit.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 20-04-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by tdmrider View Post
    small steel 4mm rod do ?
    Make it BRASS and you have a deal - brass cannot spark. That chamber is full of powder.

tac

not having fac license yet i ve been offer some bp stuff " spare capper, ball puller, cleaning gear, Pyrodex P, caps etc etc"

just wondering if its legal for me to buy/own this stuff
    just checking ?
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 22-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    ballkeeper

All of the gear you mention is ok to possess without certificate. It's one of the anomalies of the law that BP requires an explosives license whilst Pyrodex or equivalent doesn't. You might be asked for certificate by a dealer but that's not a requirement in law.

Quote Originally Posted by tdmrider View Post
    small steel 4mm rod do ?
    Steel would be a very bad idea!

Driving the ball out from behind will only work if the pistol is an inline pistol and most of them aren't. Steel could conceivably damage the pistol's bore if it drifts a fraction off centre. The best way is to buy a bicycle tyre CO2 inflator as suggested by the other posters. It's quick, clean and doesn't require any disassembly of the pistol. Having said all of that, shooting an original percussion, I find that sometimes the fouling shot will just not go. Checked and cleared the nipple, blown gas through it to make sure it's clear of oil residue and swapped the barrel with meths to degrease it. If it does't go with first cap, I use a hotter one (Red box RWS) and then, if it's still no go, take the nipple out and trickle a tiny amount of priming poweder into the hole. Make sure it's not overdone because you can't take a chance with the nipple being blown out under pressure. That inevitably does the trick and it's interesting to hear a percussion gun with a hangfire!

As to what to take to the range, it's anything you've used once before and anything else you can think you might need that you can fit in the bag.

At muzzleloading events, many of the competitors use the large toolbxes on wheels to carry all their kit + range bag + guns (can be up to eight different ones over a weekend)
    Last edited by NickHarvey; 22-04-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Didn't pick up last post in thread

All of the gear you mention is ok to possess without certificate. It's one of the anomalies of the law that BP requires an explosives license whilst Pyrodex or equivalent doesn't. You might be asked for certificate by a dealer but that's not a requirement in law.
    caps ok too ,thank you for clearing that,

At muzzleloading events, many of the competitors use the large toolbxes on wheels to carry all their kit + range bag + guns (can be up to eight different ones over a weekend)
    sounds great and alot of cleaning too
    ballkeeper