Thread: HW45 Aim Points

Collieman is offline Has a Parsnip shaped like an amusing "Thingy"

HW45 Aim Points

I've just been doing a bit target work with the old HW45. On low power setting a nice 1" group near the bull. On full power a nice 1" group just outside the score at 6 o'clock (aiming at the bull each time). 6" target at 6 Yards.
    While I understand that the higher power will make the pistol more hold sensitive and a flatter trajectory but I am surprised at the difference in aim points.
    Any ideas?

Regards

Luke
    Last edited by Collieman; 22-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.

The high power setting will give higher fps. hence a flatter trajectory. Which means at a certain distance your pellets will strike lower. Try using the high power setting at 10 or 15 metres and your groups will be to point of aim.
    Know Thy Weapon.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    The high power setting will give higher fps. hence a flatter trajectory. Which means at a certain distance your pellets will strike lower. Try using the high power setting at 10 or 15 metres and your groups will be to point of aim.
    Know Thy Weapon.

Pete.
    I think the OP is saying that he's surprised that by keeping the same aimpoints and not adjusting the sights, the high power setting is still hitting lower. Surely a higher velocity can't achieve that.....

Hi there

This couter-intuitive effect is quite commonly reported and it happens just the same to me - it is there at a 'range of ranges'. The HW45 has quite a kick to it and I suspect the difference in point of impact is becuase on the lower power setting the gun has displaced more (fractionally upwards) from the point of firing and the time the pellet leaves the barrel. I don't know if it is technically correct to say the pistol has a faster lock time when on the higher setting, but that how I think of it. Having said this, I don't know if this is what is going on!

From a practical perspective, I deal with it by setting my sights up for the higher power setting and sticking to that

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Collieman View Post
    I've just been doing a bit target work with the old HW45. On low power setting a nice 1" group near the bull. On full power a nice 1" group just outside the score at 6 o'clock (aiming at the bull each time). 6" target at 6 Yards.
    While I understand that the higher power will make the pistol more hold sensitive and a flatter trajectory but I am surprised at the difference in aim points.
    Any ideas?

Regards

Luke
    Ive only had my HW45 for three days, so still new to it all, but my story is exactly the same. Because I am only shooting indoors (20ft) I only use half power mainly, but have tried full power and found it shoots about two inches low consistently. I'm looking forward to more coments from other users on this.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Not sure if this has any relevance.. I was recently using my HW45 (in .22) at a paper target positioned at 18m at approx eye level. At that distance (in .22 at the half-power stage) there was a noticable droop of approx 2" without any adjustments to the sights. When I changed to the full-power setting, there seemed to be no difference to the droop(2") whilst still aiming at the bull. I've also tried this on Rifle HFT (knock-down Knock-up) targets at 6 - 10m, and can not seem to see any difference in power, although the recoil does seem to be different.(or was it my imagination)

As has been said, half-cock or full-cock can give different (or the same!) results on the target, due to recoil / locktime / individual technique.

I (like JonRA) prefered to shoot mine at full-cock (and I think others often do the same). I prefer the sharper recoil. For me it felt more consistant that way.

It is a spring gun, and given that its a pistol, and relatively light-weight, I think 45s are particularly hold-sensitive, therefore practice pays you back with more consistant results.

I also found it difficult to get groups in the same place when shooting with a one hand / two hand hold (windage AND elevation-wise). Therefore using both power settings would be getting way too complicated for me!

Again, as said, it is a rewarding pistol to shoot. But IMO not an easy one. Hence the rewards of practice and learning to shoot it!

Remember - many good rifle shooters can't hit 'a barn door' with a pistol. Due to a whole book of reasons, usually!

I think mastering a 45 would be an excellent way to develop good pistol technique.

Good luck! Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Collieman View Post
    Any ideas?

Regards

Luke
    "How to hold an air pistol for greatest accuracy" On YouTube. Im having good results after practicing this technique with medium pressure. This is with all pistols.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hitting lower at the higher power setting is entirely normal.
    If you think about it...

At the high power setting the piston is fully retracted toward the muzzle, you pull the trigger and 2 things happen...
    a) the piston flies towards the shooter and the pellet starts to move down the barrel well before the piston 'bottoms out'.
    b) the pellet moves up the barrel accelerating quickly and leaves the muzzle soon after the gun starts recoiling backwards.

At the low power setting the piston is part retracted toward the muzzle, you pull the trigger and 2 things happen...
    a) the piston flies towards the shooter and quickly 'bottoms out' causing the gun to recoil backwards.
    b) the pellet moves up the barrel slowly (compared to the full power setting)
    Hence the pellet is still well in barrel when the gun starts to recoil and leaves when the muzzle has risen higher and thus the POI is higher.