Thread: Webley Premier - What a nice thing!

North Petherwin, Launceston - North Cornwall PL15

Webley Premier - What a nice thing!

I have just bought a Webley Premier from JonP off the BBS. What a lovely thing to shoot! I had a Senior when I was a youngster and firing this today brought it all back. It's really quite powerful over short ranges and buries a .22 pellet fully into the poor old apple tree at around 10 yards (skirt right into the bark!). I'll get a little more scientific after a strip and lube etc. but this one is definitely staying

Ive recently developed an interest in these and have two .22 Premiers, a Mk1 1966 and and Mk2 1975 vintage (just before the alloy versions were introduced). They both shoot really well, are suprisingly accurate and powerful and are beautiful little things. The trigger on the later model is slightly better but theres not a lot in it.

How old is yours?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by corvids View Post
    ....buries a .22 pellet fully into the poor old apple tree at around 10 yards (skirt right into the bark!).
    I wonder what the long term health effect of eating your lead-infused apples is?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I wonder what the long term health effect of eating your lead-infused apples is?
    Who cares? We're moving soon!

Actually it was only a couple of pellets and I've dug 'em out

Quote Originally Posted by IH View Post
    Ive recently developed an interest in these and have two .22 Premiers, a Mk1 1966 and and Mk2 1975 vintage (just before the alloy versions were introduced). They both shoot really well, are suprisingly accurate and powerful and are beautiful little things. The trigger on the later model is slightly better but theres not a lot in it.

How old is yours?

I believe it's a 70's, it has the black lacquered frame and blued barrel?

If you can hit an apple tree at 10 yards it must be an exceptional Webley pistol.

I believe it's a 70's, it has the black lacquered frame and blued barrel?
    The frames were painted in an epoxy paint from 1973 - which is why the pistol has a sticker on the side as opposed to 'Webley Premier' stamped into the frame - the epoxy filled up the stamping making it illegible. I believe that up until 75 they were all steel and then after this the frames were aluminium.

Mine does indeed have the sticker

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    If you can hit an apple tree at 10 yards it must be an exceptional Webley pistol.
    Most of them are exceptional though you may have had the misfortune to shoot an unusualy poor one

A bit like my experiences with the wonder that is the Tangfolio Witness - both or which worked well for a week or two and then became so tempermental as to be as much use as a chocolate teapot

Mine does indeed have the sticker
    Like this

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...n/DSCF2288.jpg

My 1975 model

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Well my old Senior which I owned for quite a few years from about the age of 15 was quite capable of driving drawing pins into a dartboard in my bedroom
    I was a horror with it then and.... well, let's just say that there were numerous targets which fell foul of it's accuracy in the hands of a young and dedicated marksman. Needless to say, you'd never get away with such things today - this was around 1961/2 when a Shotgun license was ten bob and you bought it at the post office. I kept the Webley in my shooting bag or my fishing bag, whichever I was doing at the time. It fell into disuse when I got one of those folding .410 hammer guns with a half octagonal barrel and the middle cut out of the stock. I used to stick the barrel down my trouser leg with the butt in my pocket, all hidden under my duffle coat! And yes, I'd read 'Kenzie the Wild Goose Man' by then

That is the same model that I have it was in mint condition when I got it a two or three years ago if you use it with care they are so well made that they will go on forever.
    I striped it down when I first got it and gave it a good clean and put lots of molly paste on all of the moving parts and it now works like new it has to be my favourite gun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    That is the same model that I have
    The Senior or the .410?

100% agree, just love them.