Thread: thinking of going for a BPR but........

thinking of going for a BPR but........

talking to Henry Kranks today, the guy on the phone mentioned they are only proofed for BP and not pyrodex or 777

he also said that certain makes are known to develop certain faults using anything but BP, like twisted frame, damaged forcing cone etc

also said invalidates warranty, and using anything than BP you need to load by volume NOT weight

bit of a mine field it seems

what are you guys doing? And any problems found, if anything it'll be a .44

oh yes, we can't use BP in our indoor range anyway, so it'll have to be one of the others
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Black powder guns are proofed for black powder, 777 and pyrodex are both black powder substitutes which are used by volume to the same weight as b/p. Iv tried both as have loads of folks on here im sure and had no problems, thats what they are designed to be used for. Both work well and you dont need the licences to buy or possess them or need special storage boxs etc. I prefer b/p but if your range says no then give the substitutes a go. I think you will find you still get lots of smoke and flames and still have to clean your gun just the same. Dont worry about any scare mongering they are safe if used as intended in the right quantities. Let us know how you get on. Tim.

so are you saying if using 20grns of BP and that would fill a .38 case to the top, then when using pyrodex you would fill the same case to the top totally ignoring what it would actually weigh?

do I understand it correctly if using 777 then you need to use about 25% less volume?

looks like a variation might be going in soon, just got to decide on which make and model now

stainless, adjustable rear sight, any thoughts on barrel length, seems most are around 7.5" quite fancy the Rogers and S. But could buy two of something else for the same price
    Last edited by NigelG; 27-04-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post

oh yes, we can't use BP in our indoor range anyway, so it'll have to be one of the others
    If they do not want you to use BP indoors then they will not want you to use Pyrodex it is not smokeless and a bit acrid.

Sir - tim56 is right - your pal in Kranks is talking total tosh.

Guns 'twisting'?

Gimme me a break...

All BP subs are measured by volume as their actual weight can differ appreciably from the equivalent grade of BP. Why not just read what the manufacturers actually write about the use of their propellants? After all, THEY know what they are talking about, unlike the person in Kranks.

The example of a .38cal case is a good one - just try it and see. Fill it up with FFFg BP, pour it out and measure it, then do the same with the sub of choice and measure it. All of them, Pyrodex P, Triple 7 and Cleanshot, weigh less than the equivalent VOLUME of BP, but have the same BULK and occupy the same SPACE in the chamber.

tac

+1 for Kranks plus tosh

777 should be reduced by 17% of volume to perform the same as BP

Pyrodex is made from BP so is just as smokie and smelling like rotten eggs.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane