Thread: Osprey Supertarget

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Osprey Supertarget

I recently bought an Osprey Supertarget from a local dealer. The pictures looked good so I stumped up the cash and my friend collected it for me on his day off while I was still grafting away at work earning the money to pay for it!

The picture I was sent prior to purchase only showed the one side - when I get it home the other side revealed a very deep groove that looked like a saw cut across the cheekpiece. Coincidence? - maybe.

When the rifle arrived I also noticed that the original Anschutz sights had been "liberated" and replaced by a rather nasty cheap rear sight, and the Anschutz front sight and mounting block replaced by a nicely turned piece of alloy that holds an unrecognised front sight tunnel that needs a larger diametre element than any of the FWB/Original/Walther/Anschutz elements that I have.

The less than clear picture did not enable me to recognise the fake rear sight as the side profile looked right, and as I was buying from an established dealer I never suspected it would not be the correct part. The front sight was an obvious "upgrade" but replacing this would have only been one thing to put right.

Jammed inside this "optional" front sight tunnel was a "normal" sized element with the mounting lugs "trimmed" to allow it to be force fitted inside the tunnel. It fell out as I picked the rifle up!

Just to complete the story, when the rifle was fired for the first time it was noticed just how loud it was - and how little power it developed. A quick penetration test revealed a similar dissapointing result. New seals needed no doubt!

OK - so the good news is that after many hours of steaming and gently "tapping" the deep "sawcut" looking dent has been almost lifted out and the walnut is very nice.

The general exterior of the metal work is also very good - so although I will probably loose a sack full of cash on this bad purchase - I will save a very nice rifle and return it to full working condition and specification.

I have ordered some new piston seals from Chambers, but need to find one of the genuine Osprey Supertarget sqaure front sight mounting blocks, and the matching rear sight raiser mounting block - can anyone help please?

I also need to find a pair of the correct Anschutz sights, and I am guessing these may be the most expensive bits - but not as hard to find as the genuine Osprey Supertarget mounting blocks.
    Last edited by zooma; 29-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.