Thread: Still yearning for better glass ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Although the advice is to look through as many scopes as possible and make up your own mind, I have found that you really need to shoot a few comps with a scope to work out if it really does what you want.

The problem is that what I like in a scope isnt what the next person does, I dont like high mag, busy rets, bells and whisles, I dont like big scopes that upset rifle balance....So I shoot on 6 or 7x mag and 32mm objective with a simple mildot ret. Many would hate using my scope, regardless of 'glass quality'. Also really subtle things rule out a scope for me, some of which are hard to describe. I tend to like Hawkes, they work for me.
    I hate MTC's. But thats JUST me.

My advice is.....buy a mildot 3-9x40 for 40 to 80 squids to get started. Sell it when you have a good idea of what you want to replace it with, or keep as a backup.

secretagentmole Guest
    Look through the scopes, even two scopes from the same range can be miles apart optically!

Thanks for all your honest answers and yes I do need to look through a few?

I love my Hawke Frontiers quality of glass but finding another one may be a patient wait?

Personal choice yes is the discerning factor I think!

The Nikon is the best glass I have looked through so far but the BDC reticle will not be suitable for my needs.

The sidewinder I looked at was superb but out of my budget.

Next one on the list will be the Mamba lite I think?