Thread: Early Model 75.

Early Model 75.

When reassembling all of the restored parts of my Model 75 project ( more about that rifle on another thread), I took the stock off of another Model 75 we had here to give us a few clues about where all the nicely restored parts actually fitted!

Well it looked like we had a few extra parts on the restoration project Model 75 that the one we were using as a reference did not have! As the rifle we were copying was shooting beautifully it caused a fair bit of head scratching and the need to look at some "exploded" drawings.

It turns out that the rifle being used to help locate all the parts correctly for the rebuilding of the restored rifle was a very eary one number 000526, and some of the steel pressings had been updated on the slightly newer one that was being rebuilt - but the missing parts were subsequently identified as the anti-beartrap mechanism !!!

Is it possible that these very first Model 75 rifles never had an anti-beartrap device fitted ?

Seems unlikely I have to admit - but maybe one of our resident anoraks can throw some light on this for me?

Meanwhile, I am looking for part numbers 117 anti-beartrap operating arm, 118 anti-beartrap spring, 119 anti-beartrap retaining screw and 129 washer as I want to fit an anti-beartrap device to this early rifle as I would prefer to know when I am pushing the pellet into the end of the barrel that I need not worry so much about loosing my finger if the slide should slam shut !
    Last edited by zooma; 13-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

DOM

Correction:-

The number of this old Original Model 75 is 000576 and it is date stamped 05 77. (May 1977).

There are also no wear or witness marks of any kind on any of the metal stampings used in the various linkages to suggest that this particular rifle was ever fitted with the anti-beartrap mechanism, so this is even more curious.

The rifle had been in regular use in a Bell Target League prior to me buying it, and it is in very good condition and shoots really well so the evidence suggests that this rifle has been in regular use since new, has been well cared for and not tampered with.

It is also a very interesting low production number being only number 576 of this type made, so with the different shaped metal stampings - not only of the linkages, but also the welded-on metal frames it would no doubt make an interesting rifle for the airgun historian.

Meanwhile, I will continue to use it ( well it does shoot very well) but keep looking for the parts to add the anti-beartrap mechanism as soon as possible.

Although I have personally never had any problem at all with this rifle, now that I am aware of the potential safety problem I will be a little more wary when cocking the rifle in the future, and adopt the stance I see many 300S and Model 75 shooters already take of keeping the loading lever "blocked" whilst loading the pellet - just incase!

I also see many HW 77 and 97 underlever shooters also blocking the underlever when they have their fingers inside the loading port, so it is reassuring to know I am not the only one that has some fear of extreme finger damage if the slide should ever slam shut without warning!
    Last edited by zooma; 13-08-2012 at 12:07 PM.

I think I have found the parts I need on a barrel assembly I have bought via a BBS advert, so when it arrives I will remove the anti-beartrap parts and attempt to fit them to my early Model 75 to update it and make it safe when cocking.

No doubt this could well enrage the purist collector - but then again I could keep a full set of fingers for a little longer - difficult choice - but I think I will chance annoying any anoraks with the knowledge that the anti-beartrap device can also be easilly removed again by any serious collector or gambler that likes to live dangerously!

This also means that I will have some very useful Model 75 spare parts to keep the fleet alive in future years!