Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Hurricane ft/lbs?

Today I've bought a .177 Hurricane from a mate, so they are now awesome looking pistols, and feel light and great in the hand due to half of it hanging back over the wrist. Think Star Wars, Batman, Saturday Night Fever! Definately a design of it's time I'll crono it later

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Choking on your beer yet, Alistair?
    Listen, Im talking abou the american market ones and those can kill a jack-rabbit at 100 paces.

You do mean the .455 Webley Mk IV, also known as the Hurricane?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Listen, Im talking abou the american market ones and those can kill a jack-rabbit at 100 paces.

You do mean the .455 Webley Mk IV, also known as the Hurricane?
    Hehehehe Yes. That and the BSA Air Captain Magnum Pistol.

lol....shame really. It just didnt have the size to its tiny internals suggested by the much bigger outer casing of these 70s designed models.....but used the same mainspring/piston size Webley had used since the end of the 20s with their mk1.
    The tiny swept volume also hampered by the long transfer port going through the 90 degrees to get the air from the cylinder up behind the pellet.
    Best i ever managed ....just for interest....was with the old Webley Senior which used a phospher bronze ring.
    By turning head room off the front of the piston face.... getting perilously close to the phosphor bronze slot location, you could add a good 1/16" to the stroke. Had one running at 490fps with Hobby one time but that was absolutely it and only because i had a spare piston going begging.
    Had a later Premier go faster with High speeds but found it doing 472fps when switching to the hobbies.
    It will never be a 4.7ftlb gun....youll have to trust me.

Gah, this one is doing 385 fps with 'skeeters (thats 2.63 ft lbs)

I want a refund!

p.s. I once had one of those Seniors with piston ring. Them were the days

Damn right.....webley seemed to go in reverse after it and my beloved MK3 Rifle.
    The ring would last for ever if lubed with engine oil.......and needed lubing every week when i had mine i used it that much. Nice little garage plinker and the size and weight an air pistol should be.