Thread: Cadet Major Breech Block Cracked

Cadet Major Breech Block Cracked

Dear All

I have noticed a crack in the breech block of my 1955 Cadet Major

It runs down the centre on the top of the block from where the barrel joins the block back almost to the rear sight.

Can this be sorted with a weld?

Thanks
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

probably better off using a tig welder i dont know about the heat with the barrel though
    how much did you want for it ? i assume its the one that you withdrew from sale

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Matty, got a photo please?....have never heard of this before, but can probably be sorted out no problem. It depends on how close the crack runs to the bore of course, and after cleaning up the welded area will not be the same after bluing when viewed in strong light.

ATB, Ed

P.S. this is something I would normally be able to do in 5 mins, but I am off work for the next week, then in 3 weeks time will be incapacitated for at least another 20 days plus due to an operation (which I am dreading)...So that leaves a window from the 28th of this month of about 15 days if it turns out to be a simple job.

(that's if Royal Fail still allow posting of "weapons of war"

ATB, Ed

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/94089162/P1...%20%282%29.JPG

The crack is a hairline running just under halfway down the block from where the barrel joins and 2/3 of the way to the rear sight.

If you can fix it Ed I can post the barrel to you tomorrow

It might only need a bit of braze?

Thanks
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/94089162/P1...%20%282%29.JPG

The crack is a hairline running just under halfway down the block from where the barrel joins and 2/3 of the way to the rear sight.

If you can fix it Ed I can post the barrel to you tomorrow

It might only need a bit of braze?

Thanks
    Matty
    Hi Matty,

It will need welding mate, braze needs the whole area to be heated to red hot to get to right temperature. It's hard to see from the photo, but probably the way to approach it is to use a thin grinding wheel (2mm) and slot the crack open till I get to solid metal, and then tig weld up...I will clean the weld and texture the area as original, and the blue should only be lost in this local area. If you are not using the gun much by all means send the barrel to me so I can have a proper look, but re-read my O.P. regarding timing...all being well, and if I consider it a viable job, I should be able to do it on the 28th or 29th of this month.

Please also be aware it maybe something serious, obviously I will have a good look and get back to you with any problems, I have crack check kit at home so can investigate.

will P.M. you with postal details...don't worry about payment, it is a 10 min job with the right kit if all is simple

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Matty,

It will need welding mate, braze needs the whole area to be heated to red hot to get to right temperature. It's hard to see from the photo, but probably the way to approach it is to use a thin grinding wheel (2mm) and slot the crack open till I get to solid metal, and then tig weld up...I will clean the weld and texture the area as original, and the blue should only be lost in this local area. If you are not using the gun much by all means send the barrel to me so I can have a proper look, but re-read my O.P. regarding timing...all being well, and if I consider it a viable job, I should be able to do it on the 28th or 29th of this month.

Please also be aware it maybe something serious, obviously I will have a good look and get back to you with any problems, I have crack check kit at home so can investigate.

will P.M. you with postal details...don't worry about payment, it is a 10 min job with the right kit if all is simple

ATB, Ed
    Thanks muchly Eddie

I'll get the barrel off to you today

Matty

Huge thanks to Edbear2 for welding up my cracked Major breech block.

She is as good as new now.

Happy days

Matty