Thread: digital powder measure

digital powder measure

getting bored weighing out swiss 1 & 2 for my pistols on a simple beam balance.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of digital scales accurate to +/- 0.1 grain that reads in grains and grams? Or maybe even better, a proper powder dispenser that dishes out defined loads of black powder?

regards
    fc

Can't recommend scales although pellet scales will give you the results you want. One thing to consider is that at international level, few people weigh their measures. If you get your charge right, volume is more important than weight. Personally, I use Lee powder measures set up to throw the various measures I use, from 10gn to 30 gns.

Something else to consider is that, as far as I'm aware, no one offers automatic dispensers as they are considered too dangerous. It would be interesting to try it but I rather like the idea of my roof staying where it is!

I have a brass black powder dispenser up for grabs @ £8 posted

There ARE volumetric powder dispensers - they look almost the same as those used for nitro -powders - but they are obviously made for BP and are most definitely NON-ferrous in every way, being made of brass and alloy of some kind.

I'm not sure who imports them here in UK - Peter Starley/Midway maybe?

However, DO not attempt to use ANY form of electrically-powered dispenser scale - digital or otherwise - to dish out BP. The manufacturers of such devices categorically distance themselves from any attempt to do so by using the words 'DO NOT USE THIS SCALE TO DISPENSE ANY FORM OF BLACK POWDER OR SUBSTITUTE BLACK POWDER' or similar.

Some folks, it seems, see advice and warning like this as a direct challenge to their manhood.

I see it as good advice, to be taken note of, and closely adhered to. I want to go to hebben with all the bits that I was originally issued with, plus a few teeth, of course.

tac

Maybee its me thats a bit wierd, but i quite like using my beam scales for weighing out my powders. I use a Lee scoop just under the volume required then trickle more in to the required weight. I go upto my toy room with a mug of tea, shut the door and find it kind of relaxing. Tim

I use a powder flask with a cut nozzle to throw my charges into powder phials and with a consistent arm movement and thumb placement then even this will give very consistent powder weights (even to the 0.1 grain).

The vast majority of BP shooters, even at the very top of the competition tree, are not too anal about tenths of a grain, or even about a couple of grains. It is getting a consistent VOLUME of powder that is of prime importance.

I shot a Whitworth rifle for many years, and found [to my initial horror] that five grains either way made not the slightest bit of difference to the boom/bang/thththththripple/thud.

I'm there with Rollo, throwing charges as consistently as I can, using the same method.

Bench rest shooting it is not, but then, it isn't, is it?

tac

Powder Measure

I'm just back from Germany and the BP World championships and absolutely agree that it's the volume of powder that's important rather than the weight. BP is very big in Germany and the number of trade stands over the week was very impressive. I ended up spending 120 Euros on a very well designed and built measure. It's a hopper with a cam arrangement so a 90 degree turn, pull and another 90 degree turn delivered a very consistent measure into the phial. Downside is that you have to drill the measures to suit and that took two evenings to do. Before this one, I've been using a set of five Lee measures since 2004 and they've been good enough to do the business year after year without readjusting.

Neva scales

I have a set of NEVA electronic scales for sale in "secondhand anything else"
    I think they read to 0.2 grain.
    Only £10 plus post.

i have some for sale in the reloading part £6.00 posted uk