Thread: I bought a snider.

I bought a snider.

It's a bit of a dog but I couldn't resist for £195.00. It's been made up from different bits, i.e barrel and action is from a 3 band and it still has the original ramrod fitting on the front. The stock is from a 2 band and only reaches about 2/3rds along the barrel. It's missing the 2nd barrel band anyway so I thought of "carbineising". I think there was a carbine version (1871???) with about a 21" barrel so that will solve all the problems in one hacksaw cut. I'll have to get the muzzle re-crowned but I think it will look a treat. Anyone got any suggestions, hints etc??

It hasn't arrived yet but as soon as it does I'll post some pics.

Mate of mine has one but its 3 band legnth. Was built by a gun smith using a parker hale as the base i think. Absolutely stunning rifle and shoots a treat. If i remember right he uses 16 bore brass cases that have been shortened slightly. Have fun and let us know how it goes. Tim

Snider

To be on the safe side, check under the forestock to ensure the barrel has not been "cut".

Mike95

I will check, but I won't shoot it anyway. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a 3 band snider. When I took the barrel out to clean it I found it appears to have the original finish on the bottom of the barrel, where as the rest of the metal work was bright. It is a mark III which means it was purpose built as a snider and not a converted 3 band Enfield. It shot quite well once I customized my bullet mold to cast larger diameter bullets. With muzzle loading .577 bullets they don't always grip the rifling and I got a lot of tumbling bullets. I turned the mold out to .579 and the tumbling stopped.
    I used to buy cases which were turned from solid. I seem to remember them being tapered but It was a long time since I reloaded for or shot my snider. I used to use pyrodex rather than blackpowder as its a lot easier to use.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    I have a 3 band snider. When I took the barrel out to clean it I found it appears to have the original finish on the bottom of the barrel, where as the rest of the metal work was bright. It is a mark III which means it was purpose built as a snider and not a converted 3 band Enfield. It shot quite well once I customized my bullet mold to cast larger diameter bullets. With muzzle loading .577 bullets they don't always grip the rifling and I got a lot of tumbling bullets. I turned the mold out to .579 and the tumbling stopped.
    I used to buy cases which were turned from solid. I seem to remember them being tapered but It was a long time since I reloaded for or shot my snider. I used to use pyrodex rather than blackpowder as its a lot easier to use.
    That'll be the North Devon Firearms Something.......I used them for years until they split.

tac