Thread: 10m Pistol C**K Up

10m Pistol C**K Up

Well everything was going well, I shot a round of 5 cards, 4 shots per card. All was well and it scored 180 which for me is a marked improvement, went to shoot another round and managed to not change cards after the second series of 4 shots... and ended up with 8 shots on the one card. The problem is it was possibly on of the best groups I have shot in a long time with just one ragged hole and two just out of the group. I know there was 8 shots fired but we can only see apart from the two outside the group 5 edges where you can see where the pellet has cut the card.How will the scorer be able to sort this out and what penalty will I get. In all my years shooting pistol this is another first for me!!

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    Well everything was going well, I shot a round of 5 cards, 4 shots per card. All was well and it scored 180 which for me is a marked improvement, went to shoot another round and managed to not change cards after the second series of 4 shots... and ended up with 8 shots on the one card. The problem is it was possibly on of the best groups I have shot in a long time with just one ragged hole and two just out of the group. I know there was 8 shots fired but we can only see apart from the two outside the group 5 edges where you can see where the pellet has cut the card.How will the scorer be able to sort this out and what penalty will I get. In all my years shooting pistol this is another first for me!!

Iain D
    It is possible that the card would be declared "spoilt" and given a zero score.

In a freindly club or inter-club match the scorer(s) may just remove the 4 best scores (by agreement) or declare the card "void" and let you shoot a replacement card with some sort of penalty to discourage others from spoiling a bad card just to get the chance to shoot an improved one the next time - the problem being setting a precident by permiting the card to be shot again without a penalty.

In the MPL ( a very freindly competition) we would simply remove the highest scores and count only the lowest ones.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thats why, in official comps, its max 5 shots per card
    ATB,
    yana

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    This happened to a teammate in a national postal competition,though he only shot 5 on 4 shot card,they deducted the highest scoring shot and deducted 1 penalty point

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    This happened to a teammate in a national postal competition,though he only shot 5 on 4 shot card,they deducted the highest scoring shot and deducted 1 penalty point

Neale
    That sounds like a pretty reasonable and fair way of dealing with it.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

In order not to fire any more than the permitted 20 shots I had to leave one card with no shots on it at all but sign the card and have it witnessed as such with no shots on it at all. What ever the outcome it pays not to be distracted by other people around you at the time and focus on the job in hand, note to self ear plugs and blinders on my glasses so as I cant be drawn away from the task in hand.

It's not the end of the world but I am annoyed with my self for making such a stupid error.

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    It's not the end of the world but I am annoyed with my self for making such a stupid error.

Iain D
    Join the club!
    I recently shot a round for a postal competition and didn't notice my SAM pistol was running out of air even thought the air indicator fitted told me so and the shots were falling off the bottom of the bull. Mental block and being used to shooting an old FWB65 springer.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Join the club!
    I recently shot a round for a postal competition and didn't notice my SAM pistol was running out of air even thought the air indicator fitted told me so and the shots were falling off the bottom of the bull. Mental block and being used to shooting an old FWB65 springer.

ATB
    Ian
    Ecky thump Ian iv`e only just stopped them falling off the bottom of the card , and that`s with an FWB 80. atb Gordon.

just wait untill you start shooting more than one postal comp.
    one wanting 5 shots on four cards
    the other 4 shots on five cards

i found it usefull using a pellet tray, you can then lay out your pellets in lines of 4 or 5.
    they used to be available from nsra etc.

also, too simulate a competition enviroment, recall your target after every shot.

glad to hear your scores are improving iain.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    It is possible that the card would be declared "spoilt" and given a zero score.

In a freindly club or inter-club match the scorer(s) may just remove the 4 best scores (by agreement) or declare the card "void" and let you shoot a replacement card with some sort of penalty to discourage others from spoiling a bad card just to get the chance to shoot an improved one the next time - the problem being setting a precident by permiting the card to be shot again without a penalty.

In the MPL ( a very freindly competition) we would simply remove the highest scores and count only the lowest ones.
    As I recall, under NSRA rules cross-shots (which include shots on your own target but the wrong card) result in being given the value of the shot (the highest score if the shot can't be identified) minus one or two penalty points. Of course, that relies on them being able to positively identify all the shots on the card. If they can find all 8 shots, he'll get his score, but with 4 or 8 penalty points. If they can't find all 8 shots, perhaps because some are hidden in the group, then he may only be credited with 18 or 19 shots if they can't find 1 or 2 shots.

Under ISSF rules, a cross-shot is a miss (i.e. zero) as Matt Emmons found to his cost in 2004...
    Other comps may use their own, or amended rulesets.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation