Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Junior.177 valuation and dating help required.

Quote Originally Posted by notlob View Post
    Hi

Thanks to everyone for their advice

Please find some pictures of the pistol. I hope this works, bit of a palava having to set set myself up on photobucket and not even sure its worked yet. How do you get piccies into your post?

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2eff29e3.jpg

Can some one advise what the accepted practice is to do with torn or tatty boxes? Is it ok to repair? What sort of repairs are considered acceptable, is coationg it with a plasic film OK like you cover books?

Thanks

Notlob
    I would preserve the box as it is and do nothing to 'restore' or improve it.

Many boxes didn't even survive!

Just accept that it has arrived at it's current state through the passage of time.

That's a very nice pistol and all authentic with that box as is.

ATB Chris.

A very nice pistol you have there although the box is a bit tatty you got a real bargain well done.

Quote Originally Posted by notlob View Post
    Hi

Thanks to everyone for their advice

Please find some pictures of the pistol. I hope this works, bit of a palava having to set set myself up on photobucket and not even sure its worked yet. How do you get piccies into your post?

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2eff29e3.jpg

Can some one advise what the accepted practice is to do with torn or tatty boxes? Is it ok to repair? What sort of repairs are considered acceptable, is coationg it with a plasic film OK like you cover books?

Thanks

Notlob
    Hi,

Congratulations on your new acquisition which was definitely worth the high end of the estimation. It appears to be in great condition, especially considering its relatively low Ser No.

The box looks a little distressed, but I would recommend you do as little as possible in the way of restoration unless you have undertaken similar repairs in the past. I have used clear draughtsman's tape to bring detached corners together with some success, but as I say, I would try to keep it to a minimum as these boxes are very desirable in their own right if kept as original as possible.

One of the more talented BBS members (Troubledshooter) would be the man to properly advise on possible repair techniques. He also makes some excellent reproduction boxes for Webley Air Pistols including the Pre-War Junior.

Regards

Brian