Thread: How much is my Webley Senior .177 worth?

How much is my Webley Senior .177 worth?

I've inherited an old Webley and Scott 'Senior' air pistol through my family, it's very well maintained for something so old. It has almost no damage, save for a few scratches. Still has all of it's original parts, and it still loads and fires without any troubles. It's the rarer .117 model. On the side it says "Birmingham 4", on the front of the barrel it has the number '115' engraved in it, with the caliber on the side of the barrel. It's a slant grip, made out of what looks like bakelite. At the top of the grip it has the word webley, then above that 'The Webley and Scott Senior'. I think that it's made from between 1935-1950. Doesn't have the box. How much would this gun be worth? Posting some pictures later.

It's .177, not .117. Is the smaller calibre rarer? They seem to appear in roughly equal numbers.

Unboxed post-War Seniors are worth between about £60 and £120 depending on the exact condition but generally represent unbelievably good value considering the fun that can be had, the quality of materials, and the workmanship. I have a boxed one in .22 cal that I've had for around 30 years and will never sell (though I would like to add a .177 barrel if anyone has one for sale?!). To me it represents the best example of Webley's overlever spring air pistol design, fused with olde worlde quality, before the slow slide began, via the Premier and Tempest, to the latest break barrel Typhoon, which is rubbish by comparison.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It's .177, not .117. Is the smaller calibre rarer? They seem to appear in roughly equal numbers.

Unboxed post-War Seniors are worth between about £60 and £120 depending on the exact condition but generally represent unbelievably good value considering the fun that can be had, the quality of materials, and the workmanship. I have a boxed one in .22 cal that I've had for around 30 years and will never sell (though I would like to add a .177 barrel if anyone has one for sale?!). To me it represents the best example of Webley's overlever spring air pistol design, fused with olde worlde quality, before the slow slide began, via the Premier and Tempest, to the latest break barrel Typhoon, which is rubbish by comparison.

I fully agree with the above estimation and general comments.

Your Senior is definitely a post-war example and from the B4 (postal address code) we can tell it was made before 1958 when the Webley factory moved from Weaman St and the code changed.

As post-war Seniors only had Batch Nos and not Ser Nos it's difficult to be more accurate with manufacturing dates.

Hope you enjoy owning and using the pistol.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 22-12-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Correction to date of Webley address change.

Doesn't Birmingham 4 date it from between 1946 to 1958? The '4' being dropped on the change of address.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CHJF177 View Post
    Doesn't Birmingham 4 date it from between 1946 to 1958? The '4' being dropped on the change of address.

Chris.
    Oooooooooooops ! Absolutely correct B4 markings denote pre 1958 manufacture. I have corrected the post.

Regards

Brian